Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

You've never encountered any black or Asian chavs? There are many of them out there, just follow the lurid designs in shell suits and car conversions! :hihi:

I've heard this before and I've never heard anyone call them chavs. The N word and P word yes but not chav.

I still see people are giving themselves reason to use the word.

a chav is a chav because of the clothes they wear. simple as.

if your not wearing the gear you can behave as good or as bad as you like but you won't be a chav.

i think a lot of people use the word in the wrong context and not for it's actual meaning.

This is how l'd think of a chav. Nothing to do with money, its the way they act when they think the world owes them something.

I always thought the term Chav was aimed at the most obnoxious, extreme end of people that seem, on the face of it, to do very little but seem to have a lot, ie are unemployed or in a non skilled low paid job yet, thanks too a generous welfare and easy credit, seem to have expensive clothes, car, Iphones etc.

a chav is a chav because of the clothes they wear. simple as.

if your not wearing the gear you can behave as good or as bad as you like but you won't be a chav.

i think a lot of people use the word in the wrong context and not for it's actual meaning.

People use it because it's a freebie. It's currently the socially acceptable insult.

You've never encountered any black or Asian chavs? There are many of them out there, just follow the lurid designs in shell suits and car conversions! :hihi:

Here you go BF, just why you don't hear it used on black people. It's quite up to date and I imagine down with the kids as it's from a student site.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14826120&postcount=25

Here you go BF, just why you don't hear it used on black people. It's quite up to date and I imagine down with the kids as it's from a student site.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14826120&postcount=25

Well Im not sure what that proves really, the term chav is can be eaully applied to people who dress/behave in a particular way, whatever colour, race or religion they are, I don't think anyone would fall into politically incorrect trouble for describing someone non white as one.

I disagree

as this thread has shown people have lots of different ideas about what chav is. Opinion formers in the national daily newspapers like to engage in chav baiting (probably to amuse their readers) and couln't careless about the niceties of distinguishing between white trash, council estate, low paid or benefit claimants.

Lots of people are born poor and stay poor and don't want to change - have no desire to climb the greasy pole, or feel the need to change how they speak. Why should they be punished for that?

They shouldn't. But neither should such a lifestyle be funded by others.

Well Im not sure what that proves really, the term chav is can be eaully applied to people who dress/behave in a particular way, whatever colour, race or religion they are, I don't think anyone would fall into politically incorrect trouble for describing someone non white as one.

They were both dressed in similar ways. I have definitely heard blacks called gangsters but not chav. Sure this isn't just another excuse as to why we can use the term? Anyway like someone else said earlier, because it's something people can change does that give us more right to use the label?

Archived