Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

They were both dressed in similar ways. I have definitely heard blacks called gangsters but not chav. Sure this isn't just another excuse as to why we can use the term? Anyway like someone else said earlier, because it's something people can change does that give us more right to use the label?

I'd not previously placed the term under such disciplined scrutiny Tony Erikson, the fact is there are arseholes of every colour, creed and race, whether you want to describe them as 'chavs' or 'gangsters' is entirely a matter for you.

I'd not previously placed the term under such disciplined scrutiny Tony Erikson, the fact is there are arseholes of every colour, creed and race, whether you want to describe them as 'chavs' or 'gangsters' is entirely a matter for you.

Why not just arsehole? Why does an arsehole become different depending on race, wealth, or social background?

Funny that. I didn't see any black, asian or middle class people. They all appeared like white working class to me.

How do you know they were white working class? Their identifying appearance was on of bad sportswear and baseball caps. Given the origin of the video the participants were almost certainly upper or maybe upper middle class (in economic terms anyway) which sort of implies that "chav" is a descriptor of dress and behaviour rather than income bracket doesn't it?

How do you know they were white working class? Their identifying appearance was on of bad sportswear and baseball caps. Given the origin of the video the participants were almost certainly upper or maybe upper middle class (in economic terms anyway) which sort of implies that "chav" is a descriptor of dress and behaviour rather than income bracket doesn't it?

How many middle class actually dress like that though? It's aspirational clothing aimed at the lower income bracket.

I said they appeared by the way not were.

How many middle class actually dress like that though? It's aspirational clothing aimed at the lower income bracket.

I said they appeared by the way not were.

What's aspirational about it? Surely aspirational clothing would be a suit and tie.

And the fact that you could immediately identify them as "chav" despite them not being white working class still implies that it's a clothing/behaviour descriptor rather than a class/income one?

The chavs probably wonder why people with supposed more money dress like vicars and vicars wives and molicoddle there kid's to the extreme.

Not to mention the fake acting these supposed higher class people produce when there out in public.

Some of these people truly make me giggle to myself, i think to myself what is your kid going to turn out like acting like you are with them, wake up to the real world...

Archived