Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

The fact I could identify them as that was equally because that's how they were being played as misbehaving white people, chavs. Yes, a clothing outfit which is associated with white working class. Black working class are rarely seen in the Burberry outfit in question.

What's aspirational about it? To me nothing but to thousands of youths who will happily now pay for the £100 designer belt knowing they'll never afford the jeans. BBC have been doing a series on this very thing.

The fact remains the word chav is only ever used to describe a white, working class rapscallion . We already have words for rapscallions of other races. That's why I think chav is so popular. People can't use the other terms so freely anymore.

You're totally right. It's an insult to be used against white working class youth.

I'd argue that 'chav' is a word about taste in clothes and music, etc. rather than social class, although i'd also concede that 'chav' tastes may be more prevalent in 'working class' people than, say,' middle class' people. The problem is; how do you define 'working class' and 'middle class'? It's not so straightforward any more.

It's very simple. Do you have to work to live well?

If you do, your working class.

Do you have a mortgage?

Working class/slave

Rich enough to never need work and live well? Middle class

Then super rich. Upper class.

Why would my opinion on middle class immigrants have anything to do with why the word chav is only used when the working class or poor are involved?
There is no connection. Stick to the part of your post I quoted ;)

My comment was in respect of your contention that middle class (essentially, professionals - per your definition) is so through heritage and/or a leg-up/hand-up. At least in the UK.

I'm singularly failing to understand how this logic applies to immigrant professionals. Therefore I looked forward to your explanation. Or retraction, as the case may be ;)

The word chav, in my experience (seen/heard/etc. in various contexts), isn't used only when the working class or poor are involved.

But it is always used in relation to certain people's attitude and demeanour (not so much appearance) who -again, in my experience- never carry a placard proclaiming their 'class' status or personal wealth, however.

Personally, I prefer scrote. It has that underlying rawness to it, sounds so much more offensive :D

It's very simple. Do you have to work to live well?

If you do, your working class.

Do you have a mortgage?

Working class/slave

Rich enough to never need work and live well? Middle class

Then super rich. Upper class.

Your class definition is as ludicrous as your economic powers.

A very basic definition

Working class - physical job, wage instead of salary

Middle class - White collar job, salaried, generally university educated

Upper class - titled, monied

Your class definition is as ludicrous as your economic powers.

A very basic definition

Working class - physical job, wage instead of salary

Middle class - White collar job, salaried, generally university educated

Upper class - titled, monied

In your definition, a lot of the middle class earn less than the working class.

Archived