Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

He labelled himself "King of the Chavs" after his win..he had money but still behaved the same way as before..so you can be rich and still be "chavvy"..nothing to do with money all to do with attitude/behaviour..

It's apparently to do with earning £8999.99 or under... :hihi:

Without reading that I know it's about the lottery winner with a criminal record. People were disgusted that he had won and the papers took great pleasure in labelling him a chav. He was labelled a chav on his past not on him winning the lottery.

If a person who had inherited the money acted the same way the Sun would not be labelling him as a chav. What about Charlie Gilmour? Were you labelling him chav?

He was labelled a chav because of his ongoing anti social behaviour. Maybe you should read it...

I've no idea who Charlie Gilmour is, but I'll do you the courtesy of checking.

One incident of violent disorder... No, probably not a chav. A single incident doesn't make you a chav, have a read about Carroll, there were many many incidents that earned him the label.

Jordan is still from a working class background, working class equals poverty. It's only one above the under class.

Eh?

You're telling me that despite being rich, she's actually poverty stricken because she has a working class background??? You're just getting silly now.

Being a chav is not about poverty, income or class. It's about a pattern of behaviour.

She's not poor now though...again define working class...

It's difficult to define. Because someone earns money doesn't mean they're no longer working class. The way I saw it is it's a generation thing.

Why is Tara Palmer Tompkinson not in the list with Jordan and Kerry? She acts like they do.

Eh?

You're telling me that despite being rich, she's actually poverty stricken because she has a working class background??? You're just getting silly now.

Being a chav is not about poverty, income or class. It's about a pattern of behaviour.

I agree with pattern of behaviour but it's only when that behaviour is shown by poorer people that the label chav is used.

He was labelled a chav because of his ongoing anti social behaviour. Maybe you should read it...

I've no idea who Charlie Gilmour is, but I'll do you the courtesy of checking.

One incident of violent disorder... No, probably not a chav. A single incident doesn't make you a chav, have a read about Carroll, there were many many incidents that earned him the label.

How do people know when labelling chavs if the incident was isolated or a part of a pattern?

I agree with pattern of behaviour but it's only when that behaviour is shown by poorer people that the label chav is used.

We've already proven that not to be true. Unless you think a guy with a £10million lottery win is 'poorer'.

How do people know when labelling chavs if the incident was isolated or a part of a pattern?

When they're famous they know from previous reports.

If Charlie Gilmour was observed on the day then people may well have thought he was a chav.

Archived