Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

Then why the term Hooray Henry for one and Chav for the other?

What difference does it make ? A label is a label...I don't understand why you're getting so uptight about it all..? Unless it's the old "us and them " class war...

Just to prove my point. Read the OP here.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=794554

I read it, I'm not sure what point you think it proves?

Is it chavy behaviour to deliberately live life on benefits, not really, so the OP in that post made an assumption based on what he overheard about the way those people behaved, maybe he was wrong, maybe he was right.

The fact that more chavs are unemployed than are millionaires isn't in question, being chavy IMO is a symptom of a lack of education and a poor upbringing, things which are less likely to apply to those brought up in a wealthy environment.

Re: Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

No, IMO as to be a chav you need to act/dress/talk and have the mindset.

The poor working classes could have more about them than the upper classes. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they are a chav. Now, someone who resembles Vicky Pollard, has lots of kids being badly behaved and spends their days in Primark or Meadowhall eating fast food with a huge belly that they like to wear tight tops over is a chav and I am sure you all know who these types are as Sheffield seems to be overun by them! I hate the infux of them as there seems to be many more nowadays. I see them on the way to work taking 'Courtney' and 'Brittany' to school, which is a waste of time as those types of kids will just end up pregnant at 16 and claim benefits all their lives, just like their chav scroat parents...monkey see, monkey do.

That it all depends whether you're from poverty or not. Why not call chavs hooray Henries if finances is not involved?

Hooray Henry is a pejorative that encompasses another set of behaviours, a set that require having some personal wealth.

So it's a label that doesn't apply to a chav, the two sets of behaviour are distinct and I think mutually exclusive.

But that doesn't somehow prove that chav can only apply to the poverty stricken (again, we've proven this isn't the case).

I read it, I'm not sure what point you think it proves?

Is it chavy behaviour to deliberately live life on benefits, not really, so the OP in that post made an assumption based on what he overheard about the way those people behaved, maybe he was wrong, maybe he was right.

The fact that more chavs are unemployed than are millionaires isn't in question, being chavy IMO is a symptom of a lack of education and a poor upbringing, things which are less likely to apply to those brought up in a wealthy environment.

Therefore it's used to label the poor.

Do you think the term chav would have been used if that was a conversation between millionaires discussing the best way to avoid paying tax?

Hooray Henry is a pejorative that encompasses another set of behaviours, a set that require having some personal wealth.

So it's a label that doesn't apply to a chav, the two sets of behaviour are distinct and I think mutually exclusive.

But that doesn't somehow prove that chav can only apply to the poverty stricken (again, we've proven this isn't the case).

What I meant was that every group of people is labelled as something by someone...

Archived