DVD Recorders - work with Telewest?

I don't know because we don't have cable. However I can answer a different question!

I recently asked my DVD geek friend which recorder to get. He said "None of them because there are several formats and the technology needs a little time to mature and come down in price". He pointed me to this page

Instead he recommended that I get a £40 player from ebuyer.com that supports all the formats.

The above site also has the special codes to make your player multi-region.

Originally posted by Lesley R

Does anyone out there have a DVD recorder and can successfully record programmes via Telewest Cable ? I've been hearing that it doesn't work (although Telewest says it will) and don't want to waste money on a recorder if I can't record !

You may want to do a search or ask the question at the Digital Spy forums. If there really is an issue with Telewest and DVD recorders it will probably be discussed in a thread there somewhere.

:)

Bizarre.

That's quite easily the dumbest 'expert advice' I have heard for quite some time.

Your friend sounds like he has no idea what he is on about.

DVD Recorders are fine and the format makes no difference whatsoever.

Originally posted by garrence

I don't know because we don't have cable. However I can answer a different question!

I recently asked my DVD geek friend which recorder to get. He said "None of them because there are several formats and the technology needs a little time to mature and come down in price". He pointed me to this page

Instead he recommended that I get a £40 player from ebuyer.com that supports all the formats.

The above site also has the special codes to make your player multi-region.

Originally posted by fattybear

Bizarre.

That's quite easily the dumbest 'expert advice' I have heard for quite some time.

Your friend sounds like he has no idea what he is on about.

DVD Recorders are fine and the format makes no difference whatsoever.

The format does make a difference.

You can not take a DVD+RW and make it work in a DVD-RW drive.

There currently is still no standardised format for DVD's. It is sensible to wait until there is an industry standard or buy a dvd recorder which can cope with all formats.

Skatie

Best DVD recorder is a Panasonic DMRE50, it records DVD-RAM & DVD-R.

DVD-RAM allows you to pause Live TV (when you are taping) and even watch the start of a program while you are recording the end still!

You'll be waiting a while to see which wins, its been neck and neck for years already now and doesnt seem to be ending.

Once again - absolute tosh.

These housewives tales really do annoy those who REALLY know what they are talking about.

Let me ask you a question - when would you take a dvd+rw and put it into a dvd-rw drive ?

If you want a dvd recorder - you probably want it to record from tv to dvd.

If that's the case you will be taking a recording and playing it back on the SAME MACHINE ?

If not - you can take the recorded disk and play it in a dvd player anyway.

The only thing you wouldn't be able to do all the time would be to play it in a different dvd RECORDER - and why would you want to do that anyway ?

The format matters not one JOT - just go out there and buy a dvd recorder for god sake - you'll be FINE

The only thing you should avoid is bad advice from people who have heard 'from a friend of a friend who is an expert' about these things.

I thank you.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

The format does make a difference.

You can not take a DVD+RW and make it work in a DVD-RW drive.

There currently is still no standardised format for DVD's. It is sensible to wait until there is an industry standard or buy a dvd recorder which can cope with all formats.

Skatie

Originally posted by RPG

Best DVD recorder is a Panasonic DMRE50, it records DVD-RAM & DVD-R.

DVD-RAM allows you to pause Live TV (when you are taping) and even watch the start of a program while you are recording the end still!

You'll be waiting a while to see which wins, its been neck and neck for years already now and doesnt seem to be ending.

Totally agree. Actually I am trying to buy an E50 today, but the buggers have actually gone up in price and are out of stock nearly everywhere. The cheapest multi region version that I can find in stock is £300 from Richer Sounds. However, if I'm patient I could get it for £260 from Hughes Direct. Problem is, I'm not patient. What to do, what to do...

Archived