Paupers grave City Road

bobcaz

I think there are up to six persons buried in a grave but this could be less dependingon the soil and water table.

My folks are buried in the bottom of Loxley and the water table is high.

They always said in the old days that no one had to worry abut being buried alive there as you would be drowned anyway.

There are abiout 600,00 dying each year in the British Isles and grave space is becoming hard to find in some areas.

To make more space in medieval times they dug the old bones out and stored them in Charnel or bone houses, usually under the church.

Happy Days

Because public graves were often used for the burial of infants, one grave may include a large number of individuals. In Walkley Cemetery some pre WW1 graves were used for 12, maybe 16 burials.

A friend working on the registers for Attercliffe Municipal Cemetery found one grave with 44 burials.

Although public graves were used for the burial of Workhouse inmates, I think 'pauper graves' is not an accurate description. It seems that, when infant mortatlity was so high, it was a common practice to bury infants in public (unpurchased) graves, even though the family later bought a plot elsewhere.

In 1880, when Walkley Cemetery opened, the burial fees were:

1st Class grave £5 6s (only a few, in prominent locations)

2nd Class grave £2 13s

3rd Class grave (unpurchased) 17s

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

• 6 months later...

i was home on a visit, tried to find my sisters grave there, even the caretaker couldn't find it. he took me to where it should be according to the map, but there was nothing, he said he didn't understand it. sad that she's been buried there for over 40 years but there's nothing to go back to. she died 11 hours after she was born.

Taken from the cemetery riots at Wardsend 1862, this was to do with the grave robbing that went on there,

Mrs Harriet Shearman paid the Sexton 10 shillings for the fees of burial for her son Edward Charles Shearman, and if she paid a further 22 shillings within a year she could have it as family grave.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what they did with the bodies in the St Phillips churchyard on Penistone Road. The church was bombed in the blitz and left as a ruin for many years afterwards. As a young kid I used to wander round the cemetery to kill time while my mum shopped at George Weeds grocery shop near by. It was an old cemetery because one dude buried there was a veteran of the battle of Waterloo. I still remember that headstone for some reason.

When I revisited Sheffield in the late 90s after many years absence the church had finally been demolished and the cemetery gone.

Or maybe they just pulled up the headstones and left the bodies there? Or more likely moved to a common grave.

I was searching the Sheffield Family History site the other day and it indexes some of City Road graves, I'm sure that in 1 infant plot there were around 30 buried in one grave?

My Gr Grandparents are buried in a Pauoers grave in City Road and they died Circa 1960 with 8 kids who couldn't afford a grave!!

Does anyone know what they did with the bodies in the St Phillips churchyard on Penistone Road. The church was bombed in the blitz and left as a ruin for many years afterwards. As a young kid I used to wander round the cemetery to kill time while my mum shopped at George Weeds grocery shop near by. It was an old cemetery because one dude buried there was a veteran of the battle of Waterloo. I still remember that headstone for some reason.

When I revisited Sheffield in the late 90s after many years absence the church had finally been demolished and the cemetery gone.

Or maybe they just pulled up the headstones and left the bodies there? Or more likely moved to a common grave.

I think they were reburied at Abbey Lane Cemetery.

There would not have been much left, of the loved-ones buried there, jim tbh.

The remains would not have been just "left", when the graveyard was cleared, etc, they would have been exhumed, and then interrred, respectfully, in a common grave.

Archived