Scammers pretending to be 24sevenpccare.com

He did give the company name, address - 55 Manchester Road, Manchester and website to try to prove that the company was genuine. Luckily, I didn't hand over credit card details, but the tactics did scare me

This number of 24PC care 0161 -408-4448 DO NOT RESPOND,, THEY ARE CON ARTISTS

BUT BEWARE. These tactics should not catch the savvy amongst us BUT it will catch out those who dont know a lot about PCs

Have you got an up-to-date antivirus on your laptop? That would be my first port of call. If you don't there are free ones you can get from the internet like AVG:

http://avg.2011-downloads.com/?s=yuk&a=avg&OVRAW=avg&OVKEY=avg&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=74293548031&OVKWID=6678328031&OVCAMPGID=40196031&OVADGRPID=378661419

Use the antivirus to scan for all malware, spyware and viruses. If he did add anything it will find it and remove it.

Delete any cookies (information that tracks where you go on the web, you can find this info from going to 'tools'>'internet options' from your internet menu bar at the top).

And check the status of your firewall. This you can find from going to 'start'>'control panel'>'system security'.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oops! Didn't see the bit about mcAfee.

What good would AV be if the user just lets anyone access the machine?

He did give the company name, address - 55 Manchester Road, Manchester and website to try to prove that the company was genuine. Luckily, I didn't hand over credit card details, but the tactics did scare me

This number of 24PC care 0161 -408-4448 DO NOT RESPOND,, THEY ARE CON ARTISTS

BUT BEWARE. These tactics should not catch the savvy amongst us BUT it will catch out those who dont know a lot about PCs

I work at MaccyDees

633 Penistone Road

Sheffield

S6 2GB

Tel: (0114) 2853156

Do you now think I work there?

Have you got an up-to-date antivirus on your laptop? That would be my first port of call. If you don't there are free ones you can get from the internet like AVG:

http://avg.2011-downloads.com/?s=yuk&a=avg&OVRAW=avg&OVKEY=avg&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=74293548031&OVKWID=6678328031&OVCAMPGID=40196031&OVADGRPID=378661419

Use the antivirus to scan for all malware, spyware and viruses. If he did add anything it will find it and remove it.

Delete any cookies (information that tracks where you go on the web, you can find this info from going to 'tools'>'internet options' from your internet menu bar at the top).

And check the status of your firewall. This you can find from going to 'start'>'control panel'>'system security'.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oops! Didn't see the bit about mcAfee.

He could have also just installed a keylogger which I doubt any AV would pick up. How do you suppose he sorts that one?

What good would AV be if the user just lets anyone access the machine?

You would hope that if the guy had uploaded something nasty it will find and remove it. The OP did ask afterwards if there was anything else they could do...

Hi, Not sure if this is the same thing but I got a call form a manchester number last week and a indian woman asked me about my finance and was trying to sell me something on the phone- I was pretty blunt and said that I had no mortgage, loan or finance out at the moment and she left me alone

this number that called me has happened to someone else i know... but it was over a year ago..

he said the only way to keep everything safe is to pay them.. pay them to fix your laptop. he told me that they installed a virus on his laptop to mess it all up. after he paid, they turned the virus off, but somehow they set it to become active after a certain ammount of time again meaning they pay again..

Archived