Shut down weeks

And if management had tried to introduce new machinery that improved productivity, and made better quality products possible? The unions would have screamed blue murder about how they were taking jobs away and whined and puled until the company went into bankruptcy. Mind you they did the same thing to the country in the 70's.

So they didn't and went into bankruptcy anyway, if you are working class you should stick with your own. That's where the miners fell down - they didn't stick together but that's another story and off topic

So they didn't and went into bankruptcy anyway, if you are working class you should stick with your own. That's where the miners fell down - they didn't stick together but that's another story and off topic

No thanks. I enjoy working and making a good wage rather than sitting with "my own" and moaning about the dole and how there are no jobs out there....

No thanks. I enjoy working and making a good wage rather than sitting with "my own" and moaning about the dole and how there are no jobs out there....

I have been in constant employment (apart from couple of little hitches when I got made redundant) since I left school in 1966 thank you and so as my OH. I still stick with my own. That's the trouble today - everybody is out for themselves:love::love:

I used to work in 'process control' - electronic control systems for manufacturing and power plants

Factories (and the likes of cement works) still have shutdown weeks - that's when refurbishments and upgrades usually take place. I'm waiting for a replacement door for the new kitchen I've just had installed, but the factory has been on shutdown this week

On the subject of job losses in the steel industry. I used to work for a company automating steel plants. We had to test the software and hardware to destruction as the operators would go all out to sabbotage the new installation that'd resulted in redundancies. It was a lose/lose situation though. Without the automation and increased efficiency the company would be going to the wall and they'd ALL lose their jobs - not that they'd see it that way :(

I have worked in steel and engineering all my working life at various Sheffield companies, and the Shut down weeks as they were known are generally a thing of the past. The Shut down weeks were indeed used to maintain plant and machinery, the end of the shut down weeks was so that production requirements (business needs) were maintained, but often to the detrement of some plant and machinery. TPM is the key to maintaining plant and machinery now, but I have yet to work at a company where it is adhered to enough to prevent breakdowns and loss of production !

It used to be called the Sheffield Fortnight. Last week July / first week August or first two weeks August, can't remember.

Didn't it coincide with Wimblendon fortnight ? thats when Wimblendon was at it's peak, poeople would use those two weeks just to sit home and watch the match on TV, if we had to work the match would be piped through the factory PA system.

Didn't it coincide with Wimblendon fortnight ? thats when Wimblendon was at it's peak, poeople would use those two weeks just to sit home and watch the match on TV, if we had to work the match would be piped through the factory PA system.

I have never known Wimbledon fortnight to be that popular amongst 'working class' males or females !

I have never known Wimbledon fortnight to be that popular amongst 'working class' males or females !

You're right there and employers wouldn't shut down for two weeks so the employees could watch the tennis.:hihi::hihi:

You're right there and employers wouldn't shut down for two weeks so the employees could watch the tennis.:hihi::hihi:

:hihi: Sorry i think i worded it wrong, didn't mean the factories would shut down for Wimbledon fortnight as i rememeber them letting us listen to the match at work...while working, but some people would use thier two weeks off work just to watch the match on tv

:hihi: Sorry i think i worded it wrong, didn't mean the factories would shut down for Wimbledon fortnight as i rememeber them letting us listen to the match at work...while working, but some people would use thier two weeks off work just to watch the match on tv

Not many working class - in those days they would only be interested in football or cricket, things have changed a bit but not much

Archived