Tasers - Should they be used in the UK?

Tasers - are you for them or against them, are they safe or dangerous, did they used to be called 'stun guns'?

Prefer them to guns with bullets.

Nothing is perfect - I'd prefer criminals stunned than shot.

In Meadowhall I saw one of south Yorkshire's finest taser six people just so he could be first in the queue at the Thorntons chocolate fountain.

If it had been a Yank cop, he would have done a "Dirty Harry" and the grave yard would have increased it's population by six.

Always see the bright side. :)

In the real world, yes to the stun guns.

A (usually) non fatal way of disabling an violent/drunk/drug puddled cretin.

Personally I believe in the 44 magnum method but it'll never get through parliament so an electric shock will do as a second best.

No need for it if there are 4-6 officers present. Tasers always carry the slim chance of triggering a heart attack or interfering with pace makers.

Well I'm not a copper so I wont pretend that I'm an expert in a a situation where for example an officer answers a call to a domestic disturbance situation and on arriving at the home the husband is acting in an extremely aggressive manner, threatening the other partner and refuses to be cuffed. Can't count on having 3 or 4 of your fellow offiicers at the scene on a busy night so you're on your jack jones and he may be on drugs which makes him twice as strong especially if it's cheap street crack.

That leaves the choice of taking him on yourself in which case you'd better make sure you can force the cuffs on him and if not he's likely to turn on you in which case you have to shoot him in self defense tsk! tsk!

or

Whack him hard over the head with your nightstick in which case you might just render him uncoscious and cause concussion

or

give him a shot from the old taser which will knock him down long enough to slap the cuffs on him

I think therefore that the taser is the best solution. By far the least lethal option

If it had been a Yank cop, he would have done a "Dirty Harry" and the grave yard would have increased it's population by six.

Always see the bright side. :)

In the real world, yes to the stun guns.

A (usually) non fatal way of disabling an violent/drunk/drug puddled cretin.

Personally I believe in the 44 magnum method but it'll never get through parliament so an electric shock will do as a second best.

Then the good people of Wath can be thankful for small mercies that you will never be a guardian of law and order :D

I agree. It's not the technology that bothers me, I think non-lethal force is a great idea for some situations, but I can't find it in me to trust those that wield this technology. It should only be used in the most extreme circumstances, but the police have been too trigger happy to date using them on people who disobey them rather than people who pose a serious risk.

I totally agree

Well I'm not a copper so I wont pretend that I'm an expert in a a situation where for example an officer answers a call to a domestic disturbance situation and on arriving at the home the husband is acting in an extremely aggressive manner, threatening the other partner and refuses to be cuffed. Can't count on having 3 or 4 of your fellow offiicers at the scene on a busy night so you're on your jack jones and he may be on drugs which makes him twice as strong especially if it's cheap street crack.

That leaves the choice of taking him on yourself in which case you'd better make sure you can force the cuffs on him and if not he's likely to turn on you in which case you have to shoot him in self defense tsk! tsk!

or

Whack him hard over the head with your nightstick in which case you might just render him uncoscious and cause concussion

or

give him a shot from the old taser which will knock him down long enough to slap the cuffs on him

I think therefore that the taser is the best solution. By far the least lethal option

I am for them if used by the right people in the right circumstances.

As you can see i never disagreed with your thought process.

Like all police powers, responsibility is the key. They should be able to use whatever means they have within the law, and they shouldn't be able to abuse those powers beyond that point.

Agreed, I recall the guy who had been mildly heckling John Terry a few years ago and he was dragged out of the hall and tasered, the video was on Youtube and it looked as if the police over-reacted

Archived