Feminist protesters vs new Playboy club

I'll leave it at this cos youve obviously got far too much time on your hands. You either think dressing up as a bunny for the pleasure of men is degrading to women or you don't.

I happen to think it is. Just because you like looking at these things still makes it degrading to women. And that was the point- I'll leave it there.

I'll translate that for anyone who doesn't quite understand it.

"I'll leave it at that cos I can't provide any evidence or reasoned though and have no sense of humour, so I'm taking my ball home."

Regards TJC1

[Nothing like waiting until a thread's had 900 posts and 10,000 views before wading in, I always think.]

Right, I've not read the whole thing because, frankly, I haven't got either the time or the inclination. I do think that anyone who has commented on this story and made reference to any kind of derogatory stereotyping of feminists (including but not limited to hairy, ugly, jealous, power-crazed, feminazis, etc.) has forfeited their right to be taken seriously on the grounds that their lazy, banal and deeply unoriginal comments are strongly indicative of their inability to think very well, or indeed at all.

And if anyone has seriously claimed with a straight face that dressing up as a bunny and working at the Playboy club is empowering, good luck to you. You have also forfeited your right to be taken seriously. I have a great deal of time for sex-positive feminism but even I think that one's a stretch. A bunny, for Christ's sake.

As for Hef, he's a joke. Playboy is a joke. A Playboy club in London is worth protesting over, if you're the protesting type, purely because my GOD it is boring having to listen to the same old tired rubbish about retro-glamour and how he thinks he's done some good for relations between men and women. It is specious nonsense.

Bunnies. BUNNIES. Jesus wept.

OY! Don't LoopySmiley me! I'm not the one saying Playboy are child groomers, that was Chris sleeps!

I don't think it's overt. It's not "grooming" as in noncing. More a subtle planting of ideas. Maybe that is how I should've phrased it. I'm going to have to make some concessions here to have my loopy taken off me. :)

:loopy:

I think I'm going to leave this thread, as it's like arguing with G about religion.

I don't know why but that really does cut quite deep. I've tried to explain myself. I've never said I would shut the clubs, I've never said I would stop the empire. I've defended the protestors right to protest, I've put forward their ideas, and my only complaint has been that I don't like Playboy marketting themselves to children.

Dressing women up as bunnies is demeaning, it is outdated. That isn't reason enough to put a law in to stop them doing so, but it is reason enough to protest.

As for Hef, he's a joke. Playboy is a joke.
I'm sure Hef will care little for your view that he's a joke - after all, being a joke has been a rather successful business venture for him.

A Playboy club in London is worth protesting over, .
To those who just can't accept that we all have different views, it might be worth protesting over.

Some of us think those protestors need to get a life and find something that really is worth being concerned about.

The Playboy brand is punishing and dehumanising to women because it dresses girls up as bunnies, as animals.

Can anyone think of a male sexuality that has that treatment? When men strip they do so in the guise of someone powerful; the outfits of rank and uniform. If someone can name me one male sex worker that spends his days with a mock animal's tail or ears on his body then I will change my opinion about Playboy completely.

Nobody answered my simple question either. :)

And if anyone has seriously claimed with a straight face that dressing up as a bunny and working at the Playboy club is empowering, good luck to you.

:D

If all posts on this thread could be as succinct as this!

John X

Archived