Your memories of Sheffield past.

Back in the 60s A shop name on westfield terrace always made me smile, it was called Boosey and Hawkes,it was opposite the entrance to the Royal hospital,I think it was something to do with musical instruments.

Edited by stevenorfolk

hiya remember bramhars ( spelling),they made aircraft parts during the war, and woofes high class furniture shop, cuneo's ice cream shop, and a co-op where they had a till high off the floor when any money was paid the assistants, was screwed into a container and sent along something like a clothes line to the cashier, there were a few of them across the shop. and calvery hall,hartley seeds bookshop on the corner, but this was devonshire st, then back to division st the fire station where my dads uncle was a fireman during the war, the bookshop applebaums this was just around near carver st,across the road at the corner was a jewellers shop, and a florist. then a newsagents, around by the city hall was a british restaurant during the war.remember a workmate telling me that the foresters held a sheffield ex boxers get together and the chip shop was a pub years ago.

I remember that "clothes line" cash system at the Co-op up Crookes. It went through the wall to the butchers section next door, which alway's had sawdust on the floor

I think they spoiled the bottom of the moore with that horrible man power building, I can still remember that roundabout with the flag's in the middle and the S&E arcade, I can remember a time when you could drive up London road and the Moore and park out side the zing vah Chinese restaurant no problem,driving around sheffield seems mad these days you cant go any where at all in town, the council seem to have symptomatically destroyed the road system in sheffield with stupid one way systems and no parking any where

Back on Union Street.. Am I imagining it or do I remember that Woolworths was accross the street from the Empire ?

I do Remember Pinders Blueprint supplies accross from the Peace Gardens

Pinders was a small firm then and Mr Pinder himself used to sharpen ink drawing pens while you waited for about one shilling (5p)