Your memories of Sheffield past.

I promised 'stevennorfolk' that we would do Division Street when Norfolk Street had run it's course. Might I be so bold as to start off with The Albert on one corner and the Water Board building on the other?

hiya, i remember timpsons corner, then a sweetshop,then the regent, then it was spare land where coles was built, but just after the war the army showed a few things on that piece of land, there was a working ack-ack gun and a search light, and a few planes overhead being picked out in the searchlights, i remember a static watertank anawl, nelson pub as you've said, the dentists, macdonalds barbers, then snookerhall entrance ,then a car showroom, these at the top of cambridge st , by the nelson, the next shop was a locksmiths, then a motorbike showroom i remember this showroom being about 3 ft high off the pavement.

p.s i remember an oldtime herbalists on the same side of the firestation where you could buy the, as we called them likrish sticks, and saspirrella .s/p. and here was where i saw the seven up drink, what was that other you could buy it was like a length of tree bark rolled up. the older kids would try to smoke it, us other's just chowed it

Edited by willybite

hiya, i remember timpsons corner, then a sweetshop,then the regent, then it was spare land where coles was built, but just after the war the army showed a few things on that piece of land, there was a working ack-ack gun and a search light, and a few planes overhead being picked out in the searchlights, i remember a static watertank anawl, nelson pub as you've said, the dentists, macdonalds barbers, then snookerhall entrance ,then a car showroom, these at the top of cambridge st , by nelson the next shop was a locksmiths, then a motorbike showroom i remember this showroom being about 3 ft high off the pavement.

Bought an MGB from that dealership :-)

Prince of Wales, corner of Westfield terrace and Division street

hiya. and a shoeshop next door, and a toolshop on the other side of division st, a tobacconist come sweet shop opposite firestation office,and an hardware shop, across from f/s, division st and rockingham st ,i remember rockingham arms where one of our neighbours was a customer, she would have been about seventy the time i'm on about, when we were passing after seeing a film at the hippo my nan would say mrs xxxxx is up singing, she had a very good yodelling voice,and lower down was the shandos. chandos.(sp).

where i lived in the 40/50s i counted 21 pubs in a quarter of an hours walk away.they had problems even in those days,in my local, the landlord had a fulltime job during the day.in that quarter of an hours walk there were dozens of little mesters working at that time.

ps the foresters, rockingham ,and chandos weren't included they were 20 mins walk away

Edited by willybite

Willybite which "local" was that ?

hiya usuk my local was the dog and gun corner of bath/headford streets

also can name the 21 pubs around as well.

ps going back to the empire theatre i remember queueing outside for the second half and going upstairs to the gods to stand in the cages until first house was finished if we were lucky to sit on front row with highlky polished railes around the front and the boxes they were unused most of the time, and outside always an old man selling BILLY'S WEEKLY LIAR,

Edited by willybite