Your memories of Sheffield past.

hiya usuk my local was the dog and gun corner of bath/headford streets

also can name the 21 pubs around as well.

K

I asked because I believe the landlord at the POW also had a full time Job.

The Nolans ran The Mulberry Tavern, when their son Patrick graduated from catering college and couldn't find a job that suited him, he did the best pork sandwiches that Sheffield has ever experienced. They were served in the pub at lunchtimes Monday to Friday, and were about the diameter of a good sized flat cap, they cost one shilling and ten pence.

Wow I remember those pork sandwiches never had better. I can remember how packed it used to be but well worth it.

Nah !! Mrs Jenkins Pork sandwiches had to be the best

Who's Mrs Jenkins:suspect:

Anybody remember The Carlton milk bar with the little fancy bulls eye glass windows think it was on change alley I used to think it looked really posh.

Mrs. Jenkins was ' Vera ' at the Nursery Tavern on Ecclesall Road. She told me once that the pork went into her oven [ she had a flat above the pub ] at 7.45 a.m every morning and on a low heat they were perfect by lunchtime.

I think they even got a mention by Egon Ronay once-----a favourable one I mean !

Mrs. Jenkins was ' Vera ' at the Nursery Tavern on Ecclesall Road. She told me once that the pork went into her oven [ she had a flat above the pub ] at 7.45 a.m every morning and on a low heat they were perfect by lunchtime.

I think they even got a mention by Egon Ronay once-----a favourable one I mean !

One of the best pubs of it's time without question

Yes, USUK, I agree.

The decor was attractive and interesting. There was a small-ish snooker room, a pleasant enough garden and the crowd who went in over the years was about as mixed as you could get. The service was good and the staff were like friends-----most worked there for many, many years.

I think the Nursery had been a good, popular pub for years. As a kid, aged about 9, I used to go with my parents for a drink in the garden and that was about 1950. I think the garden had a swing and a see-saw and the big tree had decorative lights as soon as it got dusk. I used to look into the snooker room and see George Fairest playing. He was the bloke who cut my hair and his shop was on Ecclesall Road between [ I think ] Harland and Denham roads.

I think Vera's mother ran the pub for many years [ dates ?? ] and Vera was married to

' Gentleman ' George who died at a comparatively young age.

I think, USUK, you 'd be a tad disappointed if you saw it now !

Yes, USUK, I agree.

The decor was attractive and interesting. There was a small-ish snooker room, a pleasant enough garden and the crowd who went in over the years was about as mixed as you could get. The service was good and the staff were like friends-----most worked there for many, many years.

I think the Nursery had been a good, popular pub for years. As a kid, aged about 9, I used to go with my parents for a drink in the garden and that was about 1950. I think the garden had a swing and a see-saw and the big tree had decorative lights as soon as it got dusk. I used to look into the snooker room and see George Fairest playing. He was the bloke who cut my hair and his shop was on Ecclesall Road between [ I think ] Harland and Denham roads.

I think Vera's mother ran the pub for many years [ dates ?? ] and Vera was married to

' Gentleman ' George who died at a comparatively young age.

I think, USUK, you 'd be a tad disappointed if you saw it now !

That's just how I remember it. The little lounge room also and Vera's Ming vase on the stairs, amongst other curios.

• 4 weeks later...

In the 60s my mother used to work at Fletchers bakery.

She once...."Accidentally"...erm...."Borrowed" a knife and fork from the canteen and to stop people from swiping stuff, there was "Stolen From Fletchers" engraved on them.

Id love to have a Stolen from Fletchers cutlery set now.

That's just how I remember it. The little lounge room also and Vera's Ming vase on the stairs, amongst other curios.

When Mrs J gave up the tenancy she shunted all the good stuff out to her daughter and son in laws pub, somewhere in the cleckhuddersfax triangle. The S.I.L was (hopefully still is) Austrian, named Oscar, or something similar, Mrs J moved in with them and her grandchildren, I wonder how many days it took her to start doing pork sandwiches. :hihi:

Those were the days, Kath, Winnie and Vanessa behind the bar, Jan was the glass collector, I can't remember the name of her second in command, she didn't work nights. Victor sat to the side of the snooker room door blathering on about Germans and Alsations, and Harvey who lived across the road, he only had jobs that supplied uniforms.

Edited by crookesey