Your memories of Sheffield past.

Yes you are correct, it's Hays Recruitment these days, strange that. Do you remember the large surface car park that was more or less where the crucible is. There was a bank at the side of Hays, Ron Gall (resplendent in Jimmy Edwards moustache) was the landlord of the Brown Bear.

hiya i remember in 1961 the year my wife and me were married, top side of the odeon was milk street and down there was the postmans club where we held our reception, but earlier before the odeon was built when during the war was just a skeleton of steel which i thought was the outcome of the bombing raids, but not so as the odeon was started before the war.then just above the elephant was a piece of damaged land then thorntons on the corner.the bank was the yorkshire penny bank i recall.

Edited by willybite

Yes you are correct, it's Hays Recruitment these days, strange that. Do you remember the large surface car park that was more or less where the crucible is. There was a bank at the side of Hays, Ron Gall (resplendent in Jimmy Edwards moustache) was the landlord of the Brown Bear.

I think the bank is still there but now licensed premises (The Monk?). I can just picture Ron at the Brown Bear in his cream jacket. I remember he lost a lot of weight before he died. One of the best.

hiya i remember in 1961 the year my wife and me were married, top side of the odeon was milk street and down there was the postmans club where we held our reception, but earlier before the odeon was built when during the war was just a skeleton of steel which i thought was the outcome of the bombing raids, but not so as the odeon was started before the war.then just above the elephant was a piece of damaged land then thorntons on the corner.the bank was the yorkshire penny bank i recall.

I will look further into the Bank's identity as there was a large Yorkshire Penny Bank on the corner of Fargate and Surrey Street. My grandfather, who was a time served Joseph Rodgers apprentice, told me that the steelwork was for a JR building, however (sorry grandad) I believe you to be correct.

I will look further into the Bank's identity as there was a large Yorkshire Penny Bank on the corner of Fargate and Surrey Street. My grandfather, who was a time served Joseph Rodgers apprentice, told me that the steelwork was for a JR building, however (sorry grandad) I believe you to be correct.

hiya crookesey it was the yorkshire penny bank as my mum was for a time a customer there when she died in 1973 i found a bankbook of hers that showed she was saving for something earlier and when i saw the ammount left it was 1 shilling ( 5 p) to keep the account open i hadn't the heart to cash it in ha ha

ps not so much grandad

Edited by willybite

hiya crookesey it was the yorkshire penny bank as my mum was for a time a costomer there when she died in 1973 i found a bankbook of hers that showed she was saving for something earlier and when i saw the ammount left it was 1 shilling ( 5 p) to keep the account open i hadn't the heart to cash it in ha ha

ps not so much grandad

The more that I think about it, the Yorkshire Penny Bank was a colossus, there was another large one at the top of Haymarket, and another (I think) somewhere on The Moor or nearabouts.

TSB in 1980.

hiya crookesey it was the yorkshire penny bank as my mum was for a time a costomer there when she died in 1973 i found a bankbook of hers that showed she was saving for something earlier and when i saw the ammount left it was 1 shilling ( 5 p) to keep the account open i hadn't the heart to cash it in ha ha

ps not so much grandad

what a nice old building that was, never saw anyone go in or out though :huh:

From somewhere right at the back of my not-so-good memory, I remember something about a chinese restaurant on or near Norfolk Street that the environmental health closed down for having skinned dogs hanging up in their freezer! (Or did I just dream this?) :roll:

From somewhere right at the back of my not-so-good memory, I remember something about a chinese restaurant on or near Norfolk Street that the environmental health closed down for having skinned dogs hanging up in their freezer! (Or did I just dream this?) :roll:

The Canary was on Charles Street, the Zing Vaa was on The Moor and wasn't there one at the top of Commercial Street, that's it for me. And whilst we are on restaurants, Mamas wasn't there in 1960, the herbalist was Turner's art shop wasn't it?