No of households where no one has ever worked doubled under Labour

So you think that governments should have a direct hand in the shaping of peoples lives? The Labour government should have intervened in peoples relationships to stop them from braking down and leaving a mother to raise kids on her own?

The fact is, there were/are so many one parent families in spight of not because of the previous Labour government, But Labour did what it could using the welfare system to ensure that the innocent children in all of this weren't left to suffer, unlike the likes of you that would leave them to rot.

This situation we're in with many people choosing to live a life on benifits rather than work is an indictment on the capital class employers rather than on the last Labour governmet; For me this situation says more about the low wages in the world of work than it does about the welfare system under Labour.

Oh come on. This is one of the richest countries in the world - one thing we are not short of is good wages. The problem is there is insufficient incentive to go out and work for many people as I noted further up the thread - why work when you can get paid almost as much and have a life of leisure.

Nope. Do you?

Let's see:

OK, so you think that the previous government failed.

Perhaps it's a good job that there are "people like me"?

Failed in what? If you're on about tackling the issue of one parent families, Its not the job of governments to keep couples relationships going.

This came up in a conversation earlier on today.

I remember when the 1 million mark of unemployed was breached... followed just a few years later by the 3 million mark.

Many long term unemployed became so in the 80s with the destruction of mining communities and our industries and a failure to invest in those communities. To deal with the massive levels of unemployment the Govt encouraged people on to incapacity benefit, which with no other options except call centres many have seen as a long term solution. Furthermore there was a failure to target support for the youth to get them in to work during that period, creating a large number of unskilled unemployable, a lost generation. A creation of a culture through plan and neglect. Something Labour were not as successful dealing with as one would have hoped, but despite the Tory and LibDems glee at these stats something Labour clearly have sought to address with some success when you look at numbers in employment and causes and solutions and contrast it with when the problem began.

That couldn't be further from the truth.How can any political party be pleased about this. I for one am frustrated at the progress ( or lack of it) that has been made when there has been so many so called back to work schemes over the years.

I know that the Lib Dems are certainly unhappy about the position we find ourselves in.It is a huge issue to tackle and one that is of course a political hot potato.

Oh come on. This is one of the richest countries in the world - one thing we are not short of is good wages. The problem is there is insufficient incentive to go out and work for many people as I noted further up the thread - why work when you can get paid almost as much and have a life of leisure.

Yes there is a shortage of good wages and this is where the lack of incentive to work(for some) comes from.

Weather you think wages are too low and the welfare system got it about right, Or that wages are about right and welfare too generous, I suppose depends on what your politics are - But any right-minded person would agree with the former.

That couldn't be further from the truth.How can any political party be pleased about this. I for one am frustrated at the progress ( or lack of it) that has been made when there has been so many so called back to work schemes over the years.

I know that the Lib Dems are certainly unhappy about the position we find ourselves in.It is a huge issue to tackle and one that is of course a political hot potato.

Well maybe I am wrong but I have read yours and others contributions to the topic as being inspired by Labour bashing more than anything else.

As for looking at ways of tackling the problem, there is a recent report out on the Future Jobs Fund that was stopped as soon as the ConDems came in to power.. an intervention that was well run by the public sector and that was making real progress dealing with this very issue.

http://www.touchstoneblog.org.uk/2011/05/future-jobs-fund-the-evidence-starts-to-come-in/

This looks to me that those who were forced into unemployment by Tory policies have had children for whom there is still no work and now have their own households.

It's quite easy to spin this anyway you want without resorting to quoting people's posts and then editing them.

How do people who have never worked manage to have households of their own?

How do people who have never worked manage to have households of their own?

People will still age and breed without employment... You can't keep em is aspic until they are ready to accept responsibility for themselves :)

Leave home, get a council flat with or without a boyfriend/girlfriend/child and then you have a new workless household...

Agreed. I can't, and haven't seen any argument that could conwince me otherwise.

IMO, the issues have [in part] been created by a societal monetary imbalance almost certainly caused by a benefit system that hasn't kept up with the times.

Yes there is a shortage of good wages and this is where the lack of incentive to work comes from.

This is just quite simply wrong. In every way.

Weather you think wages are too low and the welfare system got it about right' date=' Or that wages are about right and welfare too generous, I suppose depends on what your politics are - [b']But any right-minded person would agree with the former[/b].

The unbolded looked like you were agreeing with my thoughts about imbalances. Then you ruined your post with a comment about 'right-minded people'.

Judging people by your own opinion...

as I have just have with my comments on your thoughts :)

Now that's fair and balanced :)

Well maybe I am wrong but I have read yours and others contributions to the topic as being inspired by Labour bashing more than anything else.

As for looking at ways of tackling the problem, there is a recent report out on the Future Jobs Fund that was stopped as soon as the ConDems came in to power.. an intervention that was well run by the public sector and that was making real progress dealing with this very issue.

http://www.touchstoneblog.org.uk/2011/05/future-jobs-fund-the-evidence-starts-to-come-in/

Predicting what a report will say before the evidence starts to come in is hardly conclusive.

I have experience of actually working on the future jobs fund myself getting young people in to jobs and of course to an extent it did do that but questions are raised about at the end of the agreed period whether they end up in real paid jobs that havent been created to help the statistics.

Many employers will take on a young person if they are subsidised to do so but when that subsidy stops the question is whether the market can afford to pay them.

Predicting what a report will say before the evidence starts to come in is hardly conclusive.

I have experience of actually working on the future jobs fund myself getting young people in to jobs and of course to an extent it did do that but questions are raised about at the end of the agreed period whether they end up in real paid jobs that havent been created to help the statistics.

Many employers will take on a young person if they are subsidised to do so but when that subsidy stops the question is whether the market can afford to pay them.

That is of course right which made the withdrawal of it by the ConDems before the evidence came in such a bad idea.....

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/ih2011-2012/ihr1.pdf

.... Now we have the evidence it shows that decision was wrong because it was successful in creating proper jobs for the long term unemployed after the subsidies ran out.

Archived