Are the reflections of objects actually objects or just optical illusions ?

Here's a thought provoking question.

For the purpose of this discussion, lets imagine that since birth, my only means of viewing the world has been a simple mirror device attached to my head that allows me to see the reflected images of whatever is behind me. I have no other way of seeing, the device is my only means.

Would I be correct in believing that I never actually saw any of the objects I've been looking at my entire life?

It's hardly though provoking though. You could equally well say that since the only way normal people see if via a cornea and lens that focus and unvert the incoming light they have spent their entire life seeing things upside down.

If you want to explore this train further though it's been done a couple of milennia ago - get a copy of the Cave by Plato from http://www.gutenberg.net

It's hardly though provoking though. You could equally well say that since the only way normal people see if via a cornea and lens that focus and unvert the incoming light they have spent their entire life seeing things upside down.
But this doesn't address my question Obelix. You're addressing something I never asked.

Originally posted by Obelix

If you want to explore this train further though it's been done a couple of milennia ago - get a copy of the Cave by Plato from http://www.gutenberg.net

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.

For the purpose of this discussion, lets imagine that since birth, my only means of viewing the world has been a simple mirror device attached to my head that allows me to see the reflected images of whatever is behind me. I have no other way of seeing, the device is my only means.

Would I be correct in believing that I never actually saw any of the objects I've been looking at my entire life?

Why not stand facing away from a mirror behind you to see what's going on in front? :huh:

The actual objects no. A reflection of the objects yes. Although you would perceive the objects as real if you had no other criteria to work from.

(If I understood your question that is)

Answering the thread title: Neither.

What you see in the reflection disappears when the reflective medium is removed. The original objects remain.

An optical illusion is a trick played by the eye on the mind.

Which line is longer here; <----------> or >----------< ? They are the same length.

See M.C Eshers "Waterfall" drawing for an excellent example of an optical illusion.

Why not stand facing away from a mirror behind you to see what's going on in front? :huh:
I suppose I could do that if I removed the device that I'm wearing.. the device that is my only means of seeing.

Answering the thread title: Neither.

What you see in the reflection disappears when the reflective medium is removed. The original objects remain.

An optical illusion is a trick played by the eye on the mind.

Which line is longer here; <----------> or >----------< ? They are the same length.

See M.C Eshers "Waterfall" drawing for an excellent example of an optical illusion.

I think (stand to be corrected) the idea that danot is coming from is no outside influence. See bold.

The actual objects no. A reflection of the objects yes. Although you would perceive the objects as real if you had no other criteria to work from.

(If I understood your question that is)

Yes you've understood my question, that's exactly what I meant.

But don't our eyes work in the same way as the device I described?

Archived