32 year old male wishes to learn a martial Art

I have read with interest many of the topics on martial arts and dont feel I have the "answer"....so experts out there please help

I am a overweight 32 old married average Joe, both my wife and eldest son (13) both do TKD in Rotherham, very impressed with the teaching (what I have seen) and both are thoroughly enjoying it.

I can not go to their class, as I look after our other chimps and truefully dont want embarrasing by my wife ! (blue belt)Additionally I wish to keep away from their "interest" and do my own !!

So looking for a lesson on Mondays if possible (ideally), where overweight, unfit, balding absolute beginner will be made welcome.

Any helpful info will be welcomed

Regards

Pete:thumbsup:

Would do TKD, just not with the family !, no specific "art", however I aint feeling competative, I am well aware I am not a young starter, however not to old either !!!!

Certainly no weapons, something to give me an interest (other than loud rock and beer), not too competative...but certainly not relaxing.

Ideally a martial art, where I will gain confidence, fitness and ability, learning how to punch/kick rather than throwing (grappling = judo ??) and probably something practical rather than arty.

Sorry if this makes no logical sense, it is hard to explain what I want...

And a big thanks for the prompt reply:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pete

Kick boxing / muay thai or boxing are all very effective but may be to sports oriented for you. JKD should give you a good all round art - it's pretty intensive and will get you fit, gives you a good grounding in punching/kicking and also some grappling and weapons techniques (the user jay_kd runs classes at The Source near Meadow Hell) Other than that Mantis Kung Fu or Wing Chun (talk to Davemantis about these) sound like they would be good choices.

TKD is at Hillsborough Leisure centre on Mondays at 7.30 ( I think - you might wanna check).

There's a mixture of kids and adults and there's usually a beginner or two. It's hard work but basically you just do what you can.

There's also a Tang Soo Do class at Stocksbridge Leisure Centre on Mondays. I've been to it and really enjoyed it but realised I prefer TKD. I mention that one because I noticed a larger presence of middle aged people there! The two martial arts are quite similar up to a certain point but the sparring in TKD is quicker with more contact. Tang Soo Do seems a bit more old fashioned to me - but maybe that's just cos I wasn't very good at sparring...

Good luck!

Originally posted by jay_kd

Cyclone it depends on the TKD format WTF can't punch to the head but ITF and TAGB can. thats how it was when i trained in TKD long time ago.

I went to the class at hillsborough a few years ago, so I guess it's wtf as they wouldn't let you punch to the head.

It was a good workout, but of no use in self defence at all.

thats riht ITF/TAGB allow head punches & head kicks(but its semi contact)

WTF allwos head kicks but NO face punching but the kicks are full contact

They both run each other down a lot i have noticed BUT they both have plus and minus points.

I find the WTF kicks are good and strong BUT their defense on ehad punches sucks

WTF prefer the rear leg

The ITF/TAGB have fast legs and like to fiht long range

especially the side kick they prefer the lead leg.

Both can be dangeorus really from a long range.

If you ever fight a TKD guy keep that guard high and tight!!!

Watch them head kicks!

Archived