Should Council house tenants be asked to leave their houses?

Is there currently talk within the government of making some changes regarding council housing and those that earn over £100,000pa

If I heard correctly, those that earn over this figure will be asked to pay the market rate for their house rather than the council-subsidised rate.

IMO that would be a fair way of doing it. Subsidised council housing is there because many cannot afford private rent rates. If you're earning 100,000+ then you can certainly afford those rates.

im on over 100k, ive lived in my council home since i was born in it. why should i be kicked out for what i earn?

My post expressing my disbelief has been removed, maybe I should have made it more clear. I don't believe you because of the poor level of grammar and spelling you exhibit.

Considering there are council houses in Dore, Ranmoor and Fulwood I find it quite possible there might be people on that level of income in council accomodation.

The council houses are in that location, but they're still council houses and not the equivalent of the private houses in the same location.

So I still find it hard to believe that someone on that income would stay in a council house.

Maybe the council have some stats we could look at?

The council houses are in that location, but they're still council houses and not the equivalent of the private houses in the same location.

So I still find it hard to believe that someone on that income would stay in a council house.

Maybe the council have some stats we could look at?

I would doubt that the council have would display the income of tenants for public view. I'm not saying that I definitely know that there definitely are council tenants on that level of income just that I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

Likewise, I'd be surprised if there are, certainly in Sheffield where house prices are pretty low.

I guess it's difficult to try to do any examples though, do you assume that they're single, in a couple, that they have children or don't, that their partner works or doesn't, that they've only just started earning that amount or earned that level for years...

Well, there are council houses in almost every area of the city including Dore, Ranmoor, Fulwood and Hallam as you might imagine the waiting lists for these areas is huge and long. So to get property here you either have to inherit the tenancy. Or get very lucky. Or be at the top of the list. For our purposes I would imagine that for our £100k earner would have inherited their tenancy. I also don't suppose its a single person earning £100k but more of a family earning £100k between them.

I can't see why they'd stay though, the area might be nice, but the council house is still a council house, on a council house sized plot, with council house number of bedrooms, council house kitchen, council house bathroom.

I know that tenants can fit their own fittings if they like, but with an income at that level I'd be surprised if they didn't buy privately.

Should Council house tenants have to leave their houses if they earn more than £100,000 p.a. in order that poorer people can be accommodated?

most of the nice council estates have already been snapped up in the right to buy scheme....don't think many people on hundred grand a year...rent a council house....our estate is nice.....and the council are always round cutting our grass....happy days

Archived