Should Council house tenants be asked to leave their houses?

I can't see why they'd stay though, the area might be nice, but the council house is still a council house, on a council house sized plot, with council house number of bedrooms, council house kitchen, council house bathroom.

I know that tenants can fit their own fittings if they like, but with an income at that level I'd be surprised if they didn't buy privately.

The majority of council houses are more spacious, have larger gardens and better built than new builds.

Well, there are council houses in almost every area of the city including Dore, Ranmoor, Fulwood and Hallam as you might imagine the waiting lists for these areas is huge and long. So to get property here you either have to inherit the tenancy. Or get very lucky. Or be at the top of the list. For our purposes I would imagine that for our £100k earner would have inherited their tenancy. I also don't suppose its a single person earning £100k but more of a family earning £100k between them.

Could you tell me the street names of the council housing in Hallam please?

Could you tell me the street names of the council housing in Hallam please?
No I can't. I do know there are some council houses there though, not many to be sure. If you go to put your name on the council list you'll find there are council houses in every area of the city.

Who would rent a council house if they were legitimately earning that much?

I for one would be happy to do so.

I think we should provide council housing for all.

It makes more sense than pricing workers out of home ownership by paying very generous amounts of housing benefit to landlords to house the unemployed in the 'private sector'.

The subsidies are to keep the cost of housing high.

Lax financial regulation.

Restrictive planning permission.

Tax discounts for multiple home owners.

Housing benefit to prop up prices to a minimum level.

Low interest rates.

Homebuy schemes.

RTB (removing council property from the system)

RTB recipts going to HMRC rather then being re-invested in housing.

ETC!

im on over 100k, ive lived in my council home since i was born in it. why should i be kicked out for what i earn?

I don't live in Sheffield (I was just Googling about council houses and found this forum) but I'm just curious as to how much it would cost to buy a house comparable to your council home in the same area? I can understand anyone not wanting to commit to a huge mortgage - no matter what they earn.

No I can't. I do know there are some council houses there though, not many to be sure. If you go to put your name on the council list you'll find there are council houses in every area of the city.

With a waiting list of about 30 years I bet!

Most people on above average earnings move out of social housing, as the trend for the last 30+ years has been to buy. I can see the reasons why people on incomes that far outstrip the national average shouldn't live in social housing, but I can also see the argument why they should. Lettings policies and housing benefits have all changed over the years and council estates now are often enclaves of poverty and worklessness. They have a much higher incidence of anti social behaviour than private areas too. A mix of people which includes more in higher paid jobs might be a good thing for an area.

As for single people staying on in a family sized home, if they can afford it I think its reasonable, however I don't think they should if they are claiming housing benefits. Lets move some way towards having what we can afford. Many private renters and owner occupiers have to downsize at retirement because they can't afford to stay in bigger properties, yet a single person who is on full housing benefit in a family sized council house can live there on their own without being concerned about the rent.

Archived