Pub of the year ?

I've just got back from Cleethorpes......God we're lucky here in Sheffield when it comes to real ale.

Best I could do was a nice pint of Hobgoblin and a Tiger Beer at the Worlds smallest pub.

Regards

Doom

Oh dear, Doom, you missed a trick. What about Willys Bar, which is a Public House.

Oh dear, Doom, you missed a trick. What about Willys Bar, which is a Public House.

I did see that place, but the reviews on beer in the evening were a bit hit and miss and my Mrs didn't like the look of it.

I also heard that the Number 1 and Number 2 bars at the Station had the odd real ale on, but again my Mrs thought they looked a little rough.....She's a bit of a wuss like that. :D

I did tell her there was a nice big shopping centre in Grimsby, so we jumped on the train and the first place we discovered when we got there was Wetherspoons......How convenient. ;)

Regards

Doom

• 1 month later...

Personally find all this "best pub" nonsense a waste of time. It's all subjective. I don't think that the KIT is better than the Fat Cat or the Sheaf View, or any other pub. The main point is that they are all different and offer a different experience. I can enjoy a night in lots of pubs, for example, I really like going to the Cow and Calf but I don't compare it to say the Blake Hotel which I also like, because they are not trying to compete and they don't need to. I also find it silly to have a pub of the month, season or year, whether locally or nationally. People will always have their own ideas as to what makes a good pub, personally I know what I like and I won't have someone else tell me what is the best pub. This also applies to the best beer, yesterday I was in Weston-Super-Mare in a pub where the pump clip was telling me that Harvest Pale was the best beer in the world, utter nonsense - what had it been compared to? I still enjoyed a pint of it but enjoyed all the other beers on offer just as much. Basically there are lots of good pubs and beers in Britain and we need to celebrate their diversity, I don't like some of the pubs that have been mentioned earlier in this post, e.g. Dev Cat, but it's still a good pub for lots of people and not rubbish just because I don't like it. Same goes for beer, I really don't like John Smiths Smooth, but it gives enjoyment to lots of other drinkers and no-one needs to compare it to Stonehenge Pigswill for example, because its doing a different job.

"...Stonehenge Pigswill ..."

Great name. Is this an actual beer? If not it should be!

Stonehenge is the brewery, (I seem to remember it being in Salisbury, but may be wrong), and Pigswill is one of their beers. I had a lovely couple of pints at the Two Pigs pub in Corsham, Wiltshire earlier this year. I'm not a ticker or a CAMRA anorac, just like drinking good beers in interesting pubs, preferably children and food free pubs. Actually I'm very wary of CAMRA as an organisation - but that's off thread.

Archived