Where did everything go - childhood memories of Norfolk Park

Oh my days Norfolk Park from back in the day - I was born at Norfolk PArk - we lived in one of the blocks of flats down near the Jervis Lum but I don't remember what it was called.

The park iself was amazing - still got some photo's of me and my mum in there actually.

The bonfires and firework displays were great at the time (and free). And do you remember when the fair pitched up at the park ??

memories.................

:nod:

Would have thought that someone who lived on Park Spring at the bottom of norfork park beetween 1963/64 to 1973/74 would be on sheffield forum.

I lived there from 1968-1971. 41 Park Spring Drive now long gone. I moved after the birth of my second daughter to a nice new house at Aston. Did you live in the Vic Hallams or maisonettes.

Oh my days Norfolk Park from back in the day - I was born at Norfolk PArk - we lived in one of the blocks of flats down near the Jervis Lum but I don't remember what it was called.

The park iself was amazing - still got some photo's of me and my mum in there actually.

The bonfires and firework displays were great at the time (and free). And do you remember when the fair pitched up at the park ??

memories.................

:nod:

That would be the Jervis block on Beeches Drive we lived there when it was first built January 13th 1967 and had our first daughter there. We then got an exchange to the maisonettes on Park Spring Drive.

That would be the Jervis block on Beeches Drive we lived there when it was first built January 13th 1967 and had our first daughter there. We then got an exchange to the maisonettes on Park Spring Drive.

...correct - Jervis was overlooking the shops / Bluestone school , - the one facing, over the bridge was Tower . Happy Days ! ;)

• 2 months later...

My memories of Norfolk Park precede the construction of the housing estate - when the park was pure and simple a park for recreation and pleasure. The old pavilion where mourners who attended my granddad's funeral gathered for a cold plate. The cricket pitch where men dressed in all white with no protective headgear. The playground with the swings, rocking horse and slide. Whitsuntide, when parades of marching boys and girls bearing banners of their Sunday schools gathered in the park for a service. And wasn't there a little pond somewhere at the back of the park where kids, myself among them, collected sticklebacks and tadpoles? What wonderful memories.

My memories of Norfolk Park precede the construction of the housing estate - when the park was pure and simple a park for recreation and pleasure. The old pavilion where mourners who attended my granddad's funeral gathered for a cold plate. The cricket pitch where men dressed in all white with no protective headgear. The playground with the swings, rocking horse and slide. Whitsuntide, when parades of marching boys and girls bearing banners of their Sunday schools gathered in the park for a service. And wasn't there a little pond somewhere at the back of the park where kids, myself among them, collected sticklebacks and tadpoles? What wonderful memories.

I don't suppose you have any photos of those times rogG? It is well before my time but i am interested in everything to do with the park.

Remember the park patrol on their motorbikes. ?

Wish all parks still had them, there wasn't a gobby chav in sight in those days intimidating other park users as the parky would scoot them off.

Happy times sadly long gone.

Takes me back to being a kid with the 'parkies' all over the place mate. They were like a mini police force back then. Chasing every toe-rag out of s2. The parkies, combined with Raggy had s2 pretty much running smooth for many a year.

I bet half the estates in Sheffield wish their biggest problem was a Troggy wondering around these days.

I was on the estate from about 84 till 94 then back for a short spell in 96/97.

When I was a kid I used to have a double paper-round for Gage, It gave me £13 a week spending money. I was brought up on Park Spring Drive - number 105, it was the first maisonnette on my block. I lived in the block with the main side of the maisonnettes facing the side of SR Gents. Ours was the only one with no-one below or above us. My Nan lived on Park Grange Mount from the day it was built until the day it was knocked down. She loved it there.

I remember the dream come true when they decided to let a fair onto the Earl Marshall field and we did not have to trail up to the park. But my mum onloy let me go once in a week.

We played football on the field behind the maisonnettes every single day come rain or shine, or sometimes cricket in the summer. In the winter we hung around the 'chute' or the electric box.

The 50p shop was so called because of its shape and was actually a newsagents, I used to go there after I was taken to the Bullen and Byrd dentist if I had brushed my teeth properly.

We made many a den in the woods - but they always got 'smashed up' by the big lads.

We always went to Gages shop instead of 'Johns Shop' for some reason despite the latter being ten times closer, I later found out that Johns wife died of cancer, her name was Barbara I think and I always remember her being really nice.

I never used to go the the 'Youthy' but many of my mates did, it was held at the social centre on the shops next to the co-op, I did go to cubs there however and my sister went to Bally and Tap. The shops when I lived there were The Post Office, The Fruit Shop, The Butchers - with two really funny blokes working there ( behind the counter they had a small dumbell with a u-shaped bend in the middle of the bar - it was advertised as a 'wiily excerciser' and me and my mates used to sneak in to laugh at it), the hairdressers with the brown tinted windows, the newsagents, the bookies, gages and the chippy.

God I could go on forever !!!