Where did everything go - childhood memories of Norfolk Park

Hi rogG, I can remember the old Manor Lane school I think our paths just missed as I started school (at St Oswalds RC) in 52, around that time I would be going to Norfolk Park. Do you recall the trams on City Rd? Crossing the road seemed difficult then but very few cars around at that time. Very different now.

If you look on The Sheffield History website there is a forum about living on Norfolk Park in the 1980's and 1990's, lots of memories and stories and photos of then and present day.

Regards Sue

Edited by SM524

Hi rogG, I can remember the old Manor Lane school I think our paths just missed as I started school (at St Oswalds RC) in 52, around that time I would be going to Norfolk Park. Do you recall the trams on City Rd? Crossing the road seemed difficult then but very few cars around at that time. Very different now.

Yes. I used to cross City Rd to catch the tram to go home outside St Aidans. Lived on Talbot Place which runs off Duke St just above where the Norfolk Picture House used to be. Seems like there's two parallel discussions on here. The oldies like us who remember NP before the housing devpt and the less aged who lived in the flats and whatever else was built.

Sue, many thanks for the info on Norfolk Park I will have a look at the forum. Regards Jo. Hi rogG, I think you're right regarding parallel discussions, good to be an oldie gives you the option to be in tha past or the present. Hope you enjoyed the trip! Many thanks for your memories. Jo

My memories of Norfolk Park precede the construction of the housing estate - when the park was pure and simple a park for recreation and pleasure. The old pavilion where mourners who attended my granddad's funeral gathered for a cold plate. The cricket pitch where men dressed in all white with no protective headgear. The playground with the swings, rocking horse and slide. Whitsuntide, when parades of marching boys and girls bearing banners of their Sunday schools gathered in the park for a service. And wasn't there a little pond somewhere at the back of the park where kids, myself among them, collected sticklebacks and tadpoles? What wonderful memories.

Those are also my recollections of the park rogG. My Grandma, who used to live on Heeley Bank Road, would take me there in the holidays; an alternative was Millhouses Park for the paddling pool/boating lake or Weston Park for the museum. The method of transport in those days was, of course, the tram.

In that vicinity I also recall a castle like building on East Bank Road which I believe was the entrance to the Queen's Tower. It always fascinated me and as a nipper I also played in what was called "horses field" to the left of East Bank Road going up the hill.

• 3 years later...
I lived on Park Spring Drive moved there when it was first built 1963/64 lived in the vic hallams, they were still building the rest of the estate lived there till about1973/74. Went to bluestones infant & junior/middle school started the day it opened. For those who lived there then and may know me my name is Paul Deakin love to hear from you if you do know me.

Hi paul I lived at 50 guildford ave in a vic hallam in the late 60s and went to bluestone your name rings a bell but cant put a face to it my names mark chapman (chipper)I loved the park and woods spent many a day nesting building dens , moved to australia 1973 have just found this site and has many a memory flashing back.just looked at google earth everything I grew up with gone well house and school anyway, good to see parks still there.

Does any one remember the cycling road races in Norfolk Park .

The course brilliant with hills and flat sections although I remember many crashes as the riders sprinted to the finish line.

I remember the motorcycle racers there in about 1974.I also remember my father taking me to the park baths from the mid 1950,s.In summer we used to walk from the bottom of Arbourthorne road through Cherry wood and past a small pond and then through Norfolk Park to the baths every Wednesday for years.In winter we walked up the path to the bend of Northern avenue and past the burning ground to the baths.

I remember the motorcycle racers there in about 1974.I also remember my father taking me to the park baths from the mid 1950,s.In summer we used to walk from the bottom of Arbourthorne road through Cherry wood and past a small pond and then through Norfolk Park to the baths every Wednesday for years.In winter we walked up the path to the bend of Northern avenue and past the burning ground to the baths.

Hi yes I do remember standing on the lawn of one of the houses in the park my mate lived there we would watch the push bike racing and collect empty bottles off people and take them to the pavilion and by a fab with the money we got ..... I think they were called milk races... funny what you remember when your memory gets a little jog, my mates name was andrew machin does anyone know him.I use to love the army tattoos they had there too, loved them so much I ended up joining up here in Australia.