Looking for george smith's family

hi I am looking for the family of George Smith he was born I think in 1921 and died in november 2009.He was origanaly from wellington street in town but moved to parsons cross/southy green with his parents in the 1930's(Galsworthy road or crescent)lived his later life on barrie road or crescent. He was married to lydia (got married 7/6/1947) and had two daughters and worked in the building trade. HIS daughters are called joan and lynn origanaly smith but I dont know their married names.It is these two daughters I am especialy looking for but I would be happy to here from any one who can help.

Hi advancing68 - welcome to the Forum!

I can give a little information from public records. Smith is, of course, a difficult name to research (at least four people with the name George Smith were born in Sheffield in 1921), but Kelly's Directories from the 1960s and 1970s show a George Smith at 90 Barrie Road, and a George Smith married a Lydia Martin in Sheffield in April-June 1947. Birth records show that a Joan M. Smith was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1948, the mother's maiden name being given as Martin. If Lynn was nine years younger, then she may have been the Lynn M. Smith was was born in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1957.

The most likely marriage entry for Joan is one of 1968 to a Peter A. Widdop. I didn't find a likely Sheffield marriage record for For Lynn. On the 2004 electoral roll, only one Joan M. Widdop is listed, at an address in Halifax - but the address is shared with a John, not a Peter.

Anyway I have sent you a little more information by PM (i.e. "'private message" via the Forum) which you should be able to open.

Good luck!

Hi advancing68 - welcome to the Forum!

I can give a little information from public records. Smith is, of course, a difficult name to research (at least four people with the name George Smith were born in Sheffield in 1921), but Kelly's Directories from the 1960s and 1970s show a George Smith at 90 Barrie Road, and a George Smith married a Lydia Martin in Sheffield in April-June 1947. Birth records show that a Joan M. Smith was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1948, the mother's maiden name being given as Martin. If Lynn was nine years younger, then she may have been the Lynn M. Smith was was born in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1957.

The most likely marriage entry for Joan is one of 1968 to a Peter A. Widdop. I didn't find a likely Sheffield marriage record for For Lynn. On the 2004 electoral roll, only one Joan M. Widdop is listed, at an address in Halifax - but the address is shared with a John, not a Peter.

Anyway I have sent you a little more information by PM (i.e. "'private message" via the Forum) which you should be able to open.

Good luck!

Where can I find 1960s marriages ?

Thanks hillsbro for the information thats a good start for me to look further.I appologise as I misspelled one of the daughters names its lynne I dont know if that makes a difference. also I know that there are four grandchildren jenny, dale ,georga and jane. Thanks for PM unfortunatly I cannot use the number you gave me as its a very sensitive matter I would expand further but not on a public thread and I am not yet able to PM until I have had five postings.

Where can I find 1960s marriages ?
The births, marriages and deaths indexes up to 2005/06 can be consulted free of charge in various places but you can also have access to them online by subscribing to one or other of the family history pay-to-view sites. If you want to find any marriage records, PM me some details I'll see what I can do..:)

..I appologise as I misspelled one of the daughters names its lynne I dont know if that makes a difference...
The births index actually gives the spelling Lynn, and so I had looked for Lynn in the marriages index. But in fact, the indexes do sometimes include mis-spellings, and there is a possible marriage entry for Jul-Sep 1977 for Lynne M. Smith and Paul L. Greetham, also the births index shows a Jenny Leigh Greetham, born Jul-Sep 1980, with the mother's maiden name Smith. The 2004 electoral roll shows a Paul L., Lynne M. and Jenny L. Greetham at an address in S6, and so I have PM'd the address to you.

The births, marriages and deaths indexes up to 2005/06 can be consulted free of charge in various places but you can also have access to them online by subscribing to one or other of the family history pay-to-view sites. If you want to find any marriage records, PM me some details I'll see what I can do..:)

Hi, sent you an email. Regards.

Hi a little off topic but thought it may amuse people

When I was a kid in the 60s on Parson cross my elder brother had two mates ,brothers ,called George and Billy Smith.

I was often taken up to underbank reservoir fishing and I remember one trip we went with the Smiths ,we waited outside the ticket hut for the old fella to arrive ,he was a miserable bugger at the best of times and I think we caught him on a bad day

To get a ticket he needed your name and adress and the conversation went something like this :~

Old Fella : "Name ?"

Bill: "Bill Smith"

Old Fella "Look dont mess me about ,give me your real name "

Bill "It is my name I am Bill Smith "

This went on as Bill tried to convince him and he begrudgingly gave out the ticket saying hed be keeping an eye on Bill

Old Fella "Next,name ?"

George "George Smith"

Old Fella throwing ticket book in the air and his flat cap to the ground "thats it ,non of you are having tickets ,youre not mesing me about "

I remember we eventually convinced him and fished but its a childhood memory that makes me smile everytime I recall it.

The Smiths lived on Fulmere Road by the way if that helps and I think there old fella may also have been a George but not certain.

...When I was a kid in the 60s on Parson cross my elder brother had two mates ,brothers ,called George and Billy Smith. I was often taken up to underbank reservoir fishing ..... The Smiths lived on Fulmere Road by the way if that helps and I think there old fella may also have been a George but not certain.
Loved your story, Chap BLADE! Just for the record, the 1968 directory shows a George Smith at 39 Fulmere Road. I don't know if I've found the right family, but a George Smith married a Florence E. Finch in Sheffield in 1944, and they evidently had two sons George M. smith, born 1945, and WIlliam J. Smith, born 1949.

Archived