Why do people buy soft whippy "ice cream"?

Will you all shut up about icecream please I'm trying to lose weight...

Ah God damnit, too late.

Can I recommend developing a taste for sorbet instead? It's a real shame in this country that so few places sell really good sorbet. If you go into an ice cream parlour in Germany they sell dozens of flavours of ice cream (Milcheis) and you can have all of the same flavours in sorbet (Fruchteis) too, which makes it a real treat for those of us who are looked at with confusion when we say that we don't eat ice cream over here.

There are some truly wonderful sorbets around, if you know where to look though. Lidl do a fabulous summer berry one which doesn't break the bank and many supermarkets now do mango and raspberry as well as lemon.

I can't stand it.

There are a few proper ice cream vans still around Sheffield that sell really nice ice cream, like Cuneos, but they can be hard to find.

All the ice cream vans seem to have their own roads too, ours is always the same mr whippy.

Why do people buy whipped ice cream?

Because if you see a van, that's all they might sell. There's no telling when you'll see another van and even if you did, there's no guarantee that it'll be scoop ice cream.

It is a lovely day and when I came upon an ice cream van I thought I was in luck. Sadly it was a peddler of the soft whipped muck that they still get away with calling ice cream in the UK.

QUOTE]

And who was partly to blame? See this from Wikipedia.....

One important development in the 20th century was the introduction of soft ice cream. A chemical research team in Britain (of which a young Margaret Thatcher was a member) discovered a method of doubling the amount of air in ice cream, which allowed manufacturers to use less of the actual ingredients, thereby reducing costs.

Archived