Schole's coppice or Keppel's column

There was, around WWII time, a column about 100 feet high where you could pay 2d to climb the spiral s staircase to the top. I thought it could be reached by walking across Concord Park from Bellhouse Rd. Maybe my memory has slipped. Possibly it could be reached by walking from Longley Park towards Parson Cross. The Google map says Keppel's Column is in Rotherham, but it seems unlikely that a 13 boy could have walked from Longley to Rotherham. Could it be that the city boundaries of Rotherham have moved towards Sheffield Lane Top. Lastly, was Schole's Coppice another name for Keppel's Column or were there two of them?

Anybody? Thanks.

From Concorde Park you would cross the railway line (at Woolywood bottom) and the footbridge over the old Arthur Lees site. This brings you out at the Royal Oak pub at Blackburn. Then go under the motorway up Droppingwell Road to Kimberworth. Turn left at the top (towards Thorpe Hesley) and Keppels Column is on the RHS just before you get to Thorpe Hesley.

Keppels Column is in Scholes Coppice, which is the name of the woodland between Kimberworth Park and Scholes Village. You could walk it in about an hour from Concorde Park.

I have great memories of going up Keppels Column with my Grandad when I was small and I lived on Kimberworth Park. Sadly, keppels Column has been closed to the public for many years. Still worth a vist though.

Thank you for that reply, it clears up some confusion. I see from Google map that it's less than four miles from Concord Park to the column. I guess a 14 year old boy would walk that there and back without thinking much of it. Sorry to hear that it's locked up now.

Archived