Self defence or child abuse..you decide.

Whose fault is this?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Whose fault is this?

• The teacher.....she should be sacked and thrown in the slammer
    • The student.....he should be hung, drawn and quartered
    • Both of them.....any form of aggressive/violent behaviour should not be tolerated
    • Who gives a toss.....they're American, it's naturally a violent society so it's only to be expected.

In this day and age, I imagine washing that student's mouth with soap and give her the full range of assorted punishments available (temporary suspension, detention until year end when she returns, lines, tc. You name it, add it to the list - cumulatively).

And you think you'd be justified in assaulting a child to achieve that?

Thank God you're not working in schools.

I haven't had time to read this thread but it is interesting that 65% of posters support the teacher.

I know it's trendy to blame kids for everything these days and claim that society is going to the dogs, but from what I can see in the video, the teacher made an unprovoked assault on a pupil.

She's supposed to be a professional. He was just a stupid kid. She lost it and she shouldn't have. End of.

John X

I haven't had time to read this thread but it is interesting that 65% of posters support the teacher.

I know it's trendy to blame kids for everything these days and claim that society is going to the dogs, but from what I can see in the video, the teacher made an unprovoked assault on a pupil.

She's supposed to be a professional. He was just a stupid kid. She lost it and she shouldn't have. End of.

John X

Try turning your sound on and LISTEN to the commentary, especially the bits where:

a) The teacher gave several VERBAL WARNINGS for him to back off

b) It's stated that SEVERAL of the students made statements of the fact that the student struck first.

The student was using threatening behaviour by cornering the teacher and refused to back down when more 'diplomatic' solutions were employed.

The teacher was in fear of her personal safety and used what I deem as 'reasonable and necessary force'.

b) It's stated that SEVERAL of the students made statements of the fact that the student struck first.

They may have done, but the video shows that he didn't.

And the first student reaction was "Oh my god he didn't do anything! You can't punch him in the face" and the teacher replies "He did. He pushed me".

John X

And the first student reaction was "Oh my god he didn't do anything! You can't punch him in the face" and the teacher replies "He did. He pushed me".

John X

I think you're just trying to be 'controversial' zzz. If a heavy advances on you do you just keep talking or do you strike before they do? The fact that she is in charge and is being forced to retreat has escaped you. Don't write 'end of', you are not Obi Wan and the debate will continue beyond your mighty wisdom.

John X

It wasn't unprovoked, he was warned to back off and he cornered the teacher in an intimidating manner, clearly he has no respect for the teacher or the other students who were sitting in their places expectuing to be taught. She has the right to defend herself and he is not a child he is a young man who is bigger than her and she was found not guilty by the way. This is why we have a lawless society because children know their rights but have no concept of their wrongs. Out of 57 people in the poll only 3 actually thought the teacher was entirely to blame.

It wasn't unprovoked, he was warned to back off and he cornered the teacher in an intimidating manner, clearly he has no respect for the teacher or the other students who were sitting in their places expectuing to be taught. She has the right to defend herself and he is not a child he is a young man who is bigger than her and she was found not guilty by the way. This is why we have a lawless society because children know their rights but have no concept of their wrongs. Out of 57 people in the poll only 3 actually thought the teacher was entirely to blame.

You do realise you'll never be able to talk common sense to the 'richeous' brigade. A good slap on the wrists for the young wag and if he behaves he will be rewarded with a day out somewhere nice, where as the kids who are good all the time get sod all!

John X

The video doesn't show that he didn't at all. The angle of shot is such that you cannot determine where his hands are or what they are doing.

As for the first student reaction, given the clarity of the audio it's fair to say that he/she was next to the recording device and would have had a very similar if not identical viewpoint to said device. An angle which didn't no unfortunately capture the first strike which was made by the student.

You do realise you'll never be able to talk common sense to the 'richeous' brigade. A good slap on the wrists for the young wag and if he behaves he will be rewarded with a day out somewhere nice, where as the kids who are good all the time get sod all!

Tell me about it, if some of them had member of their family physically attacked they would defend the perpetrator because he has human rights but the person being attacked doesn't. This lout instigated what happened to him

Tell me about it, if some of them had member of their family physically attacked they would defend the perpetrator because he has human rights but the person being attacked doesn't. This lout instigated what happened to him

It's quite simple, lawyers and do gooders are ruining the country with stupid rules that protect the villians. The fact is that there's no deterrent and no punishment which favours the bullies everytime. My niece was being bullied at school for over a year and the red tape involved to try to stop the bully was unreal! There was never a chance the bully would be expelled as i believe the school get a tidy sum for each pupil attending said school.

Archived