Self defence or child abuse..you decide.

Whose fault is this?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Whose fault is this?

• The teacher.....she should be sacked and thrown in the slammer
    • The student.....he should be hung, drawn and quartered
    • Both of them.....any form of aggressive/violent behaviour should not be tolerated
    • Who gives a toss.....they're American, it's naturally a violent society so it's only to be expected.

No over analysing here. She's the professional. It is her job to manage his behaviour. If he's being a total git, then he probably got what he deserved. If she has behaved unreasonably, she shouldn't be in the job.

Both scenarios are perfectly possible from the video.

No 'unreasonable' behaviour from a teacher justifies a lunk looming over her. You seem to put a juvenile lunk on the same level as a teacher as if both are equals. And people wonder why schools are full of indiscipline and trouble.

Guest sibon
No 'unreasonable' behaviour from a teacher justifies a lunk looming over her. You seem to put a juvenile lunk on the same level as a teacher as if both are equals. And people wonder why schools are full of indiscipline and trouble.

Well, they are both people.

That makes them equals in my book.

Well, they are both people.

That makes them equals in my book.

Well you are wrong, one is an adult teacher who is in charge, sorry if that seems a little old fashioned. The other is a child who should do as instructed or attend another school. It really is as simple as that, we don't need hours of hand wringing Newsnight style debate.

Guest sibon
Well you are wrong, one is an adult teacher who is in charge, sorry if that seems a little old fashioned. The other is a child who should do as instructed or attend another school. It really is as simple as that, we don't need hours of hand wringing Newsnight style debate.

Thanks for your insight.

Do you have any professional basis for your opinion, or any experience of putting your philosophy into practice?

Thanks for your insight.

Do you have any professional basis for your opinion, or any experience of putting your philosophy into practice?

Yes as a matter of fact. I also have a lot of common sense. I also remember witnessing teachers when I was a kid struggling to discipline poor misunderstood thugs while everyone else's time was wasted.

Guest sibon
Yes as a matter of fact. I also have a lot of common sense. I also remember witnessing teachers when I was a kid struggling to discipline poor misunderstood thugs while everyone else's time was wasted.

But there is no need to discipline poor misunderstood thugs whilst eveyone else's time is wasted. That is why I have asked twice on this thread about how the teacher got between the kid and the door. If he wants to walk out, let him. Then teach the rest of the kids. No need to waste the good kids' time.

Don't misunderstand me here, a kid who walked out on me would have some hard yards to do before I'd let them back in my classroom, but why provoke a fist fight and stop everyone else from learning?

Of course, he might have manhandled her into a corner, in which case he got what he deserved. However, the reaction of the other kids suggests that didn't happen.

But there is no need to discipline poor misunderstood thugs whilst eveyone else's time is wasted. That is why I have asked twice on this thread about how the teacher got between the kid and the door. If he wants to walk out, let him. Then teach the rest of the kids. No need to waste the good kids' time.

Don't misunderstand me here, a kid who walked out on me would have some hard yards to do before I'd let them back in my classroom, but why provoke a fist fight and stop everyone else from learning?

Of course, he might have manhandled her into a corner, in which case he got what he deserved. However, the reaction of the other kids suggests that didn't happen.

We are not going to agree here. My brother teaches boys at an inner city school and his first course of action is to eject troublemakers. The teacher in the video is different, either way the teacher is always right because the teacher is in charge. Unless the teacher goes of script and is some kind of deranged nutter like a Grange Hill villain that is a universal rule. Hand wringing comments such as "why provoke a fight?" simply irritate me. The teacher has provoked nothing, she is a professional dealing with a brat, end of.

The problem Mr Prime is that, fundamentally, one's an adult and the other's a child and, in my experience, things only escalate to this degree when the teacher responds in a child like way to child like behavior from the student.

Do I think the teacher is in the wrong?

Yes.

For using her fists instead of a chair!

Welcome to 21st century teaching. In my brothers school the kids regularly wind the teachers up and provoke/intimidate them while their friends are recording it on their phones. You just don't get to see the hours of footage where the teacher doesn't react. I wouldn't do their job for twice the money.

Archived