Is the mind capable of time travel?

For instance, If there was a machine that is 2 million light years away from the earth, that is capable of taking a picture or filming the earth from that distance, and we also had the technology to send those images back to the earth at an incredible speed, the machine would be sending us images or film from millions of years ago, therefore we would be looking into the past.

No you wouldn't. There is no time travel involved here at all.

If there was a machine capable of taking images of a planet two million light years away, and then sending that footage instantaneously back to Earth, it would be (almost) real time images of that planet. You'd be seeing the planet as it was now.

However, it the light had to travel those two million light years, then the images at the other end would be of the Earth two million years ago. You'd be looking into the past of that planet, but, of course, anything could have happened to the planet in the current two million years and we'd never know as the light takes so very long to reach us.

Since the mind can return to any moment, event or situation that it has witnessed or experienced within ones lifetime, can it be argued that the mind is capable of time travel?

Have you seen that episode of American Dad where Steve Smith travels back to the 1980s with his mind?

No.

By the same reasoning, films and photographs and audio recordings are also time travel.

I'd say they're just recordings of particular moments and/or events in time, whereas the mind can allegedly return to moments and events prior to the minds subconscious memory. I'm not claiming it can, but I've heard of numerous accounts of it happing under regressive hypnotherapy.

No you wouldn't. There is no time travel involved here at all.

If there was a machine capable of taking images of a planet two million light years away, and then sending that footage instantaneously back to Earth, it would be (almost) real time images of that planet. You'd be seeing the planet as it was now.

However, it the light had to travel those two million light years, then the images at the other end would be of the Earth two million years ago. You'd be looking into the past of that planet, but, of course, anything could have happened to the planet in the current two million years and we'd never know as the light takes so very long to reach us.

I think mc spyda was thinking more on the lines of a camera that could zoom in and see an object in detail from two million light years away. For example, if we had such a camera and zoomed in on a planet within a star system of the andromeda galaxy. We'd have to wait two million years to see the planet as it is right now wouldn't we?

EDIT: Karis. I take that back, of course we'd see the planet in real time as we wouldn't be looking at the light from the planet that would normally take 2 million years to reach us.

Sorry Karis.

I'd say they're just recordings of particular moments and/or events in time, whereas the mind can allegedly return to moments and events prior to the minds subconscious memory. I'm not claiming it can, but I've heard of numerous accounts of it happing under regressive hypnotherapy.

But it doesn't actually return there. It merely recalls the events which happened.

By the same token, I can imagine myself on the surface of the Earth and then one second later imagine myself orbiting Alpha Centauri, but my mind is not capable of travelling at four light-years per second.

But it doesn't actually return there. It merely recalls the events which happened.

By the same token, I can imagine myself on the surface of the Earth and then one second later imagine myself orbiting Alpha Centauri, but my mind is not capable of travelling at four light-years per second.

But I'm talking about time not distance. Distance has no bearing on the mind.

But I'm talking about time not distance. Distance has no bearing on the mind.

Mind has no (or negligible) mass. Theoretically it could travel at just about any speed.

I think if anything could travel in time, it would be the mind.

Although I don't think the classical literature time travelling is possible :(

But I'm talking about time not distance.

They're intimately related to one another. The faster you go, the more rapidly time passes.

Distance has no bearing on the mind.

Wrong. Ask anyone who is thousands of miles away from their loved ones.

I am crazy, however, I do believe it is possible to see into the past, we just don't have the technology to do so.

For instance, If there was a machine that is 2 million light years away from the earth, that is capable of taking a picture or filming the earth from that distance, and we also had the technology to send those images back to the earth at an incredible speed, the machine would be sending us images or film from millions of years ago, therefore we would be looking into the past.

Not much to do with this thread I realise, but there you go. Also I'm sure I could probably have explained it better, but hopefully you understand what I mean. But yes, actual time travel (backwards) I don't think is possible.

I bought a camera from argos that does arguably the same thing, not two weeks ago.

Archived