Is the mind capable of time travel?

You are assuming that the mind can exist outside of the grey wobbly bits inside your skull. To date there is no evidence that it can do so.

jb

Oh it's all totally the realm of mad science. I'm in no way positing that the consciousness can exist anywhere except in our heads! :)

You are assuming that the mind can exist outside of the grey wobbly bits inside your skull. To date there is no evidence that it can do so.

jb

To date there is no evidence to suggest it exists at all, beyond mere subjective experience - which is notoriously unreliable.

I would definitely agree with the idea that you can travel back in time (within your own lifetime). Some would say this is just remembering but through hypnotherapy I have heard people I work with tell me that they felt like they were actually back there in their memory and that it was SO real. For these people it could be argues that they travelled in time because for them it was a multi sensory experience and that it felt so much more than a memory.

I am aware of those who do past life regression hypnotherapy (not something I do personally) and they claim that some people can remember a huge amount of detail about a previous life. In a very small number of cases people have "remembered" things it is claimed they could never have known. I'm not so sure about this but I am willing to be informed of any information regarding the validity of this.

A common criticism is that the vast majority of people who go back to a previous life have a memory of being or being very close to someone famous. Statistically IF past life regression is possible/real the majority of people would have lived boring lives in their own little village, doing nothing and going nowhere. Not very exciting though!

Since the mind can return to any moment, event or situation that it has witnessed or experienced within ones lifetime, can it be argued that the mind is capable of time travel?

After all, It's claimed that with the aid of regressive hypnotherapy the mind has travelled back to times and places that the conscious mind had long forgotten. It's also been claimed that the mind has even travelled back to events that happened before our birth. What do you think?

Your starting premise is wrong as is pretty much everything which follows it.

The mind cannot "return to any moment, event or situation that it has witnessed or experienced within ones lifetime" study after study has shown that not only do we fail to remember most things but we misremember many of the things we think we remember.

For example commonly incorporate other people's anecdotes into their own memories. Conflate numerous incidents into one and remember things which never happened at all. People are particularly prone to lay down false 'memories" when exposed to certain kinds of "therapy" this is what was behind the so called "Satanic Abuse" cases of the 1980s-90s. The same thing but with less damaging results accounts for people under "therapy""remembering" "events that happened before our birth".

Archived