Keeton and sons

not quite sure about woodhouse. They lived in darnall when my great gran was little. As far as i know it was a grocery and hardware store in the beginning. And my great grans brothers were robert eades keeton and charles keeton. Last i heard before my gran lost the plot and couldn't recall her history anymore was that charles ran off with the money from the sale or something

hi i'm not sure if u r looking for keetons and son they r based in darnall they do caravans renting they r in acress hill road just after the bridge.

i hope that's help

thank you. i am not sure what it ended up as, as the story goes. It was originally a grocers/hardware store (how that works i will never know but it was in the olden days so i guess anything goes back then lol)

It was sold by charles keeton who ran off with the money.

Charles Keeton, trading as Keeton & Sons & Co. Limited

Royds lane 4

Keeton & Sons & Co Limited -Trading as Keetona, Keetona Works Greenland Road 9

Chas. Keeton, 6 Hallgate Road 10

This might be the one i am looking for. Do you know what the store originally was trading as? I know keetona is a steel associated business and the 1901 census has Paul (the father) as a clerk for a steel works. And his son Charles down as an electrical engineer. So it might make sense that they sold it to a company who wanted to carry on with steel associated business. And with the store allegedly (through family discussion of history) being a grocers/hardware store then it would seem like a logical progression as time went by

This might be the one i am looking for. Do you know what the store originally was trading as? I know keetona is a steel associated business and the 1901 census has Paul (the father) as a clerk for a steel works. And his son Charles down as an electrical engineer. So it might make sense that they sold it to a company who wanted to carry on with steel associated business. And with the store allegedly (through family discussion of history) being a grocers/hardware store then it would seem like a logical progression as time went by

1925 Dir. has

Keeton & Sons & Co Ltd, general engineers, Reg. Offices, Royds foundry & engineering wks. Royds Lane

• 2 weeks later...

There was a family firm by the name of H Keeton and Sons in Woodhouse. They provided taxis, wedding cars, funeral cars etc., and were the local undertakers. They garaged all their cars in a large area behind the shops on Market Place, there was an alley to drive down between the Meadow Dairies shop and the end shop of the next block which was Winifred Camden who sold hats and other items of milinery

Keetons moved a short distance to Orgreave Lane around 1978/79 and the business was aken over by the son, Raymond. They also had their Chapel of Rest at the Orgreave Lane premises. Over the past years the business was sold by Raymond to one of the big funeral companies.

Hope this helps you

Regards - Grey Eminence

Archived