Public Image Limited

I know, 'notwanted' that bar policy was crazy. What the HELL was the point of that? One bar lady said that the drinks could only be served to people with a stamp on their hand.....?????????????? er, everyone in there had a stamp on their hand. Whenever I went to the bar I just grabbed the nearest person to me and asked them to show their hand with mine....and then I promptly returned, with drink, to the person for whom I had bought it. What a waste of time.

And, you are right, he knew his audience, and how to work the crowd. He was such a pro. I was boinging away all night. I think I had reached total PIL embodiment when Flowers of Romance started. I hope they come back to Sheffield again. It was mesmerising.

I know, 'notwanted' that bar policy was crazy. What the HELL was the point of that? .

I presume it was a 14+ gig - so 14 yr olds can go but not drink - hence the stamps & bar policy.. though I cannot imagine there were many under 40 in there!

Did they do any new stuff or is it just a cashing in exercise? I saw them in 79 just before Metal Box and Lydon was the most mesmerising performer I've ever seen. He had Levene and Wobble so that was some band then but it sounds like he's just living on past glories now. He defended the butter ad on the grounds that it gave him money to take PIL on tour so that wasn't the best advert (no pun intended) for the tour. Yes he's got charisma by the ton but he has to produce something new and exciting every now and again.

It was because it was a 14+ gig and it's not the club's fault. It's Sheffield Safeguarding Children Licencing board that draw up these policies to prevent under 18's from drinking alcohol. Bonkers! I wonder what Lydon would say about this?!

. Yes he's got charisma by the ton but he has to produce something new and exciting every now and again.

Cut him some slack - theres not many people who are in two ground breaking bands in their life...

Where did they play?

I missed seeing John Lydon play at the Black Swan in 1976 too.

I saw another genius from 1976 play in Manchester last Friday night, Mark E Smith/The Fall. They were brilliant :thumbsup:

Did they do any new stuff or is it just a cashing in exercise? I saw them in 79 just before Metal Box and Lydon was the most mesmerising performer I've ever seen. He had Levene and Wobble so that was some band then but it sounds like he's just living on past glories now. He defended the butter ad on the grounds that it gave him money to take PIL on tour so that wasn't the best advert (no pun intended) for the tour. Yes he's got charisma by the ton but he has to produce something new and exciting every now and again.

I'm not going to argue with you and it was living on past glories. I would have been at infants school in 79 and it wasn't until I heard Rise that I had ever heard of PIL or took any real notice of the pistols.

Over the years I've grown to appreciate what PIL meant to people. As I said in an post up there, the pistols left me a bit miffed live and Lydon was acting like a pantomime dame in the shows I saw which I suppose is part of his shtick .

Last night felt like this music was serious to him and as a result he put over a serious performance as an artist and treated it with the respect it deserves. I'm not a devotee, I'm a greatest hits fan who popped along to catch up with a few mates and have a laugh at a gig.

The encore of Rise and then Open Up was worth the money on its own and I would still be dancing now if they were still playing.

A special mention must go to the sound engineer and his effects programming skills and use of effects live. It was as impressive as the gig and as musical.

Archived