Mum & 2 year old daughter shot dead

I've been in a similar position to this woman and was told exactly the same thing. 'Until he touches you we can't do anything.' My ex stalked me and threatened to kill me yet the police wouldn't help. Have you any idea what it's like to feel so, so scared and vulnerable and realise that you essentially have no protection? This has happenend many times to many women. (Google for specific cases if you think it's just media bloody hype).

Men who show violence to women or anyone physically weaker than them are disgusting, cowardly bullies.

The police are there to protect the public. There are many incidents where nothing could prevent tragedies like this one from happening but in this case, and in many others, they've been aware of the risk and done nothing.

Do what, exactly? The police did not kill her. This is like "Baby P." all over again, isn't it? We get so hung up on blaming anybody BUT the person who commits the crime.

OBVIOUSLY the guy who pulled the trigger is the one who killed her. But they were aware that he'd threatened to kill her. The police had been involved with this family before because of this mans violence towards the woman he eventually shot dead. The police's responsibility was to PROTECT the woman and her children.

"Hope someone's head will roll for this" get a grip on reality !

Things happen, yes its sad but the police can't be watching everyone and everything can they? You have to look at the society we live in I'm afraid:(

OBVIOUSLY the guy who pulled the trigger is the one who killed her. But they were aware that he'd threatened to kill her. The police had been involved with this family before because of this mans violence towards the woman he eventually shot dead. The police's responsibility was to PROTECT the woman and her children.

How? It is simply not feasible for the police to function as body guards.

If we keep misdirecting our anger away from the criminal, we conspire in their warped world view that they are somehow not to blame for what they are doing.

"Hope someone's head will roll for this" get a grip on reality !

Things happen, yes its sad but the police can't be watching everyone and everything can they? You have to look at the society we live in I'm afraid:(

The reality is that a woman was threatened with death, asked for help from those she thought could protect her, they didn't help and the woman and her daughter had guns put in their mouths and were shot.

Of course the police can't be watching everyone, what a stupid thing to say, and something I certainly didn't suggest. Where the police KNOW there is a significant risk they should act on it. There will always be cases where someone will, out of the blue, kill their partner. The police can't possibly be expected to try and guess where these tragedies will happen next. But in cases such as this where the risk of being killed by her ex was so high then I'm sorry but yes, the police should've done something to protect this woman and her children.

That must be bloody horrible for the eldest daughter to have gone through, having the gun shoved in her mouth then escaping only to find her mum and sister have been killed, very sad.

I completely agree, I can only imagine the terror she felt. It must be horrific to have a violent partner, and much, much worse when children are involved. Two boys have also lost their mother. The mum made an extremely bad choice when she brought this man into all their lives, and has paid a terrible price for it.

If it is proved the man in question killed his partner and his child, he should never get out of prison. I won't speculate what the police could and could not have done, it will come out in the trial.

How? It is simply not feasible for the police to function as body guards.

If we keep misdirecting our anger away from the criminal, we conspire in their warped world view that they are somehow not to blame for what they are doing.

I've never suggested that the police should act as bodyguards.

What would you do if someone bigger than you, stronger than you seriously threatened your life? Would you not presume the the police would help you in some way? The only other option is that we take the law into our own hands and keep methods of protecting ourselves in our home.

When the police wouldn't help me I desperately tried to think of how I could protect myself. Every weapon I could think of that I could use, knife, iron bar etc, I realised could've been taken off me by my much stronger ex and used against me.

Archived