Mum & 2 year old daughter shot dead

I've never suggested that the police should act as bodyguards.

What would you do if someone bigger than you, stronger than you seriously threatened your life? Would you not presume the the police would help you in some way? The only other option is that we take the law into our own hands and keep methods of protecting ourselves in our home.

When the police wouldn't help me I desperately tried to think of how I could protect myself. Every weapon I could think of that I could use, knife, iron bar etc, I realised could've been taken off me by my much stronger ex and used against me.

I appreciate that you have been through a horrible time. And I fully understand the helpless rage at the terrible crime that has been comitted. I know a little something of living in fear of violence. But my original point remains the same: What, exactly, do you expect the police to do? What is the "something" that should have been done to stop a crime before it has happened?

I appreciate that you have been through a horrible time. And I fully understand the helpless rage at the terrible crime that has been comitted. I know a little something of living in fear of violence. But my original point remains the same: What, exactly, do you expect the police to do? What is the "something" that should have been done to stop a crime before it has happened?

He'd already been committing a series of crimes. Threatening to kill is a crime. I'm sure if someone threatened to kill a person of "more importance" than this woman they'd be in a cell before you could say boo to a goose.

Try sending 100 threatening texts to your MP or a public figure and see if the police ignore you.

He'd already been committing a series of crimes. Threatening to kill is a crime. I'm sure if someone threatened to kill a person of "more importance" than this woman they'd be in a cell before you could say boo to a goose.

Try sending 100 threatening texts to your MP or a public figure and see if the police ignore you.

Exactly. Very good point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-13673320

"Two years of contact" - it does not look like the police ignored the problem. Again: What should the police have done? I have no interest in defending the police, but I am very concerned that we are developing a mindset that causes us automatically to blame institutions rather than individuals for crimes - so the emphasis instantly shifts to a nebulous "something should have been done" rather than "This person should not have done this very bad thing".

What should they have done?

Sectioned him maybe ? What sort of a mental state is somebody in who sends 100 texts threatening to harm and kill. People have been sectioned for less.

Her main problem was being to far down the list of priorities. Taxman makes an excellent point. Had she been an MP or celeb he would be cooling his heels now at her Maj's pleasure and she would still be be alive.

"Two years of contact" - it does not look like the police ignored the problem. Again: What should the police have done? I have no interest in defending the police, but I am very concerned that we are developing a mindset that causes us automatically to blame institutions rather than individuals for crimes - so the emphasis instantly shifts to a nebulous "something should have been done" rather than "This person should not have done this very bad thing".

Being angry at the lack of help from the police is in NO WAY removing the responsibility from the criminal to the police.

You have a situation where a more vulnerable member of our society is being very seriously threatened over a considerable period of time by someone likely to carry out his threats to kill. We have a police force whose job it is to try their very best to stop this criminal from carrying out his threats. They should use whatever laws are in place to ensure this, if this means putting the criminal concerned in prison then so be it. If the neighbours stories are to be believed, and the fact that this man was known to the police because of his previous violence to the woman he killed, then putting him prison may have been the best for all concerned. Especially for the woman and 2 year old child he eventually managed to kill. For a fair amount of time he threatened this woman and I guess the lack of intervention from any authority just confirmed to him that he was able to do exactly as he liked. And so he did.

And as someone said earlier, try sending 100 death threats to an MP or the like and see how seriously the police take that.

so the emphasis instantly shifts to a nebulous "something should have been done" rather than "This person should not have done this very bad thing".

I see your point and if it wasnt the job of the police to protect the members of this society then I would completely agree.

Is it all you can do to throw your hands up and say that person did bad and should be punished? That isnt going to bring them poor people back to life. When did we become solely reliant on the deterrent of punishment to stop people committing crimes? There should be a pro active approach and not just an untimely reactive one.

This guy should have been sectioned. That would have been a good start and a good foundation for any future legal proceedings against him.

Archived