Mum & 2 year old daughter shot dead

Is it all you can do to throw your hands up and say that person did bad and should be punished? That isnt going to bring them poor people back to life.

Nothing is going to do that. If we are talking about prevention with the benefit of hindsight, my question would be: If it was so predictable and inevitable that this man would murder this woman and this child, was the mother given the option of taking her children and herself to a place of safety?

When did we become solely reliant on the deterrent of punishment to stop people committing crimes? There should be a pro active approach and not just an untimely reactive one.

Where would a pro-active approach stop? I had neighbours (now fortunately re-located) who inflicted their emotional incontinence and live performances of the East Enders lifestyle on the entire neighbourhood. They frequently and loudly threatened to kill each other (and anyone who asked them to pipe down - like me.) It was distressing, but ultimately meaningless - this is the way they live their lives. Should they all have been sectioned or locked up for being thugs?

Nothing is going to do that. If we are talking about prevention with the benefit of hindsight, my question would be: If it was so predictable and inevitable that this man would murder this woman and this child, was the mother given the option of taking her children and herself to a place of safety?

Hmmmm. I like your thinking. Lets remove hindsight though. If you were posed the position of what do do with a mother and children who were being threatened by a Man? She also presents you with provable evidence of the threats to their safety. I don't think a sane person in the land would not act upon this. No hindsight necessary.

Where would a pro-active approach stop? I had neighbours (now fortunately re-located) who inflicted their emotional incontinence and live performances of the East Enders lifestyle on the entire neighbourhood. They frequently and loudly threatened to kill each other (and anyone who asked them to pipe down - like me.) It was distressing, but ultimately meaningless - this is the way they live their lives. Should they all have been sectioned or locked up for being thugs?

Your experience of your neighbours as abhorrent as it may have been is unacceptable in modern society. All threats of harm or death should be taken seriously whether it be people's choice of how to live their lives or not. I'm not suggesting an intrusion of a pro-active policing for every incident but threats, whether carried out or not require a response.

What should they have done?

Sectioned him maybe ? What sort of a mental state is somebody in who sends 100 texts threatening to harm and kill. People have been sectioned for less.

Her main problem was being to far down the list of priorities. Taxman makes an excellent point. Had she been an MP or celeb he would be cooling his heels now at her Maj's pleasure and she would still be be alive.

definitely:thumbsup:

They cannot be convicted of a crime they haven't yet committed however threatening to kill someone is not sane behaviour, particularly when the threats are repeated over a long time. The police definitely should have at the very least passed it on.

I appreciate that you have been through a horrible time. And I fully understand the helpless rage at the terrible crime that has been comitted. I know a little something of living in fear of violence. But my original point remains the same: What, exactly, do you expect the police to do? What is the "something" that should have been done to stop a crime before it has happened?

How about arresting him for violating the court order or moving her to a safe address?

How about arresting him for violating the court order or moving her to a safe address?

Did he? My comments are based on the news reports eavailable yesterday. And do we know whether she was offered the option of relocating?

Did he? My comments are based on the news reports eavailable yesterday. And do we know whether she was offered the option of relocating?

There are refuges for women and children who need to remove themselves from violent relationships. A phone call to social services, the police or even the Samaritans can help people move into one. We don't know what the victim had tried to do to remove herself and her children from danger. No doubt that will come out eventually.

There are refuges for women and children who need to remove themselves from violent relationships. A phone call to social services, the police or even the Samaritans can help people move into one. We don't know what the victim had tried to do to remove herself and her children from danger. No doubt that will come out eventually.

But really why should the innocent child and parent be hidden/have their names changed etc. Lets go for the perpetrator not the victims!

Archived