Smokers: Would this stop you?

I would ban cigarettes.

The health problems and suffering they can cause in later life can be devastating.

It is obscene the government putting an health warning on cigarettes and then taking revenue from them.

Then you're a total halfwit with no regard to the lessons of history and one who would cheerfully criminalise people whose only crime is being human.

No and I wish Governments would quit the hypocrisy. If they don't want me smoking and think it's really bad and are looking out for my health then "Don't take tax from it".

I don't think the tax they charge on cigarettes comes anywhere near the NHS bill for smoking related illnesses though?.

Then you're a total halfwit with no regard to the lessons of history and one who would cheerfully criminalise people whose only crime is being human.

I am talking from the lessons of history after seeing my father suffer terribly with COPD hardly able to breath and unable to walk. My father in law was the same.

I don't consider myself an half wit in wanting to prevent others suffer in this way because of an habit.

Before you start telling me how addictive smoking is I agree but iit is possible to stop if you are determined.

My father stopped after smoking for approx 60 years but the damage was already done, and I stopped after being an heavy smoker.

I don't think the tax they charge on cigarettes comes anywhere near the NHS bill for smoking related illnesses though?.

From the last official figure its breaking about even 1.5 billion in NHS costs -v- 1.9 billion in income tax generated from tobacco.

Still a lot less than 3 billion for alcohol related illness and injury.

Archived