Help, what Will happen if my mortgage is more than my house is worth ?

I'm a fairly new buyer and can see the value of my house fall . What Will The bank do to help ?

Am i thé only one ?

"A banker is a fellow who will gladly lend you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but will want it back the moment that it starts raining"

..........My belief in that quotation has helped me over the years. Do not trust banks or bankers.

Eventually they will increase to a rate so high that nobody in the world will be able to afford the cheapest property. Not even the richest man!

Buy now before its too late!

Offer over the asking price so you don't miss out!:roll:

I don't think so!..........the days of unfettered property price increases are on there way out! especially as wealth is shifting rapidly away from this country towards the far east and other emerging countries.Sure, top end properties bought by the wealthy will always increase in certain areas (mainly southern)but as far as post industrial towns in the north like Sheffield that rely on public sector employment and further education(both likely to take a big hit) I cannot see much hope for in the property markets at least for a decade or more!

It was you that compared the sale of a car to the sale of a house, when in fact there is little comparison between the two. I just used your analogy to show you were wrong. All land is in different places so one bit of land that is in a desirable location can go up whilst another bit of land in a less desirable location can go down. Obviously some people allow their house to degenerate faster than others so its value will fall faster, and other people improve or extend their house which will increase its value.

It's rather strange that a house close by mine was built for £275 in 1939, it has been allowed to go downhill but after the owner died, the house was sold for £85,500. houses cqn be demolished and better houses built in their place if the vendor has the freehold or the buyer can obtain it.

"A banker is a fellow who will gladly lend you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but will want it back the moment that it starts raining"

..........My belief in that quotation has helped me over the years. Do not trust banks or bankers.

Very profound Phil, but spot-on!:cool:

Actually it's utter nonsense. To even suggest that a banker is not trustworthy and will only lend you money when the sun is shining is honestly ridiculous. Banks can be your best friend in the world, in fact, at times they can be your only friend. Try borrowing a lot of money off a mate when the chips are down or you want to make an investment and see where that gets you. The one relationship you should cultivate and never neglect in this life is one with a bank.

Are you a merchant banker?:huh:

Actually it's utter nonsense. To even suggest that a banker is not trustworthy and will only lend you money when the sun is shining is honestly ridiculous. Banks can be your best friend in the world, in fact, at times they can be your only friend. Try borrowing a lot of money off a mate when the chips are down or you want to make an investment and see where that gets you. The one relationship you should cultivate and never neglect in this life is one with a bank.

Many would disagree, including these:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/banks-still-not-lending-to-small-firms-2195527.html

My own bank charged me what I considered excessive charges when I went overdrawn in an account (by a few quid)which I did not have an overdraft facility, despite having plenty in another account for which I had a £3k overdraft limit. I didn't realise for months and it cost me hundreds!

Archived