Should government fund mass house building - city size of London needed

Within 20 years it is predicted that with the population increasing, that in order to house all the people who live in the country, we will need to accomodate the eqivalent of the population of London inside 20 years.

Unless the governemnt funds a mass house building programme, where is everyone going to live?

If the government was to fund this, it would kick start the construction industry, put 1000's of construction workers back into work, put money in there pockets for them to spend in local businesses and help to solve the up and coming housing crisis.

YOu think prices are sky high now? give it 20 years and you will be paying £1,000000 for a terrace in Walkley. Lots of people wanting a dwindling product = push the prices up.

And unless the minium wage is pushed up significantly, I cannot see it being viable for people to go to work. The only chance to get your own home very soon, will be to not work

Houses are constantly being built by private industry... So maybe they'll live in private housing, like most people do now.

If the government were to do this it would waste my taxes by lining the pockets of construction companies and it would cost more than it would generate.

Not working will soon not be an option at all to get you a home, it never should have been in the first place. But house prices are actually falling back towards the long term average of 4* the average salary. So as long as the minimum wage keeps up with the change in the average salary then it will be neither harder nor easier for the low paid to buy a house than it ever has been.

Within 20 years it is predicted that with the population increasing, that in order to house all the people who live in the country, we will need to accomodate the eqivalent of the population of London inside 20 years.

Unless the governemnt funds a mass house building programme, where is everyone going to live?

If the government was to fund this, it would kick start the construction industry, put 1000's of construction workers back into work, put money in there pockets for them to spend in local businesses and help to solve the up and coming housing crisis.

YOu think prices are sky high now? give it 20 years and you will be paying £1,000000 for a terrace in Walkley. Lots of people wanting a dwindling product = push the prices up.

And unless the minium wage is pushed up significantly, I cannot see it being viable for people to go to work. The only chance to get your own home very soon, will be to not work

Why would the population increase to such a extent? this has to be a scare story.

Why would the population increase to such a extent? this has to be a scare story.

Have you not seen the projected increase in our population?

Its 62 million now, predicted to be 70 million in about 40 years.

8 million extra people, that 8 x the population of Sheffield. Where will they all live if more homes are not built?

16* more actually, but what makes you think that private construction won't build those houses? (Not that we need one house/person, if you include children then it's probably less than half that many houses needed).

A serious bar on immigration and no benefits for the second child should soon reduce this nightmare number. I don't want to see more countryside go under the concrete blanket just for the sake of housing yet more and more pointless people. The nation is full.

For the sake of the kneejerk liberals, I don't mean ban immigration but no one without money and no one with a criminal record and no benefits unless you have worked here 5 years.

But houses are being built? They haven't stopped and as Cyclone stated in post#2 most will, would, could and should live in private housing.

The population is set to continue growing but the government wont have to primarily foot the bill for this, the same will be true as was 20 years ago; the councils built houses, private groups & individuals built houses and then more were built. Council house building is still taking place today.

I would like to think that if my offspring have offspring, they wont base their increasing numbers on the availability of council homes but will have the mindset that they can live and move out as and when they can afford to do so.

We could look at ways of ensuring empty homes aren't left to rot. This quote from the website Homes and Communities

Based on data from October 2010, there 734,000 empty homes in England
shows that there a quite a few houses sat empty. This figure is just for England.

Add in all the stately homes around the country with their 20 plus bedrooms being occupied by one family and you could substantially reduce the problem of lack of housing.

Council house building is still taking place today.

In 2008 only 375 new council homes were built and I believe less than 2000 in total have been built since the year 2000.

One of the best ways I believe to help the economy and also those that find it hard to get somewhere to live would be to start a large social house building scheme. That itself would create jobs and boost the economy.

New policies are being proposed to get those who live in council homes with spare unused rooms to downsize and move into smaller accommodation. Perhaps the same should also apply to private homes and people with oversized properties being made to downsize and move into smaller ones.

A bit like what max stated.

Archived