Should government fund mass house building - city size of London needed

Immigration (net) has increased from 242,000 under New Labour, to 242,000 under the Conservatives.

That's not an increase!

Now our friends from abroad are not too keen on the idea of small familys, and are happy to have 4+ plus kids.

some will have large families of 4+ kid just as some current UK citizens will. That sort of sweeping statement if not helpful.

NOw 242000 * 20 is 4 million (plus extra), bearing in mind our foregn friends like to have lots of kids, this population could easily double from the 4 million to over 8 million, on the basis that each child born now, has at least another 2 kids.

Basing your "predictions" on sweeping and unsubstantiated generalisations means they are not exactly reasonable or reliable!

Not for that reason since they're not arriving in 'mass' numbers.

are you joking....went to east midlands yesterday...and there were loads of people flooding into the country...wearing flip flops, daft hats and football shirts....where are we going to house that lot....happy days

are you joking....went to east midlands yesterday...and there were loads of people flooding into the country...wearing flip flops, daft hats and football shirts....where are we going to house that lot....happy days

..aye, I bet they all had suntans too :suspect::hihi:

So if another 4 million people are to arrive into this country, and we build no more houses - where will these people live?

More importantly, as the housing problem becomes more of a problem (more people wanting a house) then the house prices will shoot up making it completely unaffordable for anyone in work to purchase a home in 20 years time (its bad enough now)

Of course, I have my own home as I bought in 1999 when it was cheap to buy, so in effect, I should not care. However, if the next generation of young people can't get a home, what happens then?

Are they all going to go onto the dole? as I can't see wages increasing at a rate to afford housing now

And before peole say house prices go up at the same rate of earnings - NO CHANCE !!!!

In 1999, you could have bought a house for £35,000. Someone earning £13000 per annun needed only 2.5 times there wages to buy a home.

HOuse prices are easily £120,000 (the cheapest areas away from druggies and drunks), so thats a almost a 4 x increase.

If the person earning £13,000 in 1999, is now earning £52,000 then, yes I agree house prices are rising at the same rate as pay

So if another 4 million people are to arrive into this country, and we build no more houses - where will these people live?

Who says another 4 million people are to arrive in this country?

Archived