Best way to become a minted hairdressor - can you get rich quick?

I will look at the facts, I'm just suprised at what you are saying.

If you are right - it will perhaps make me look somewhere else to train for a career.

Its good to have others opinions, I just assumed they got £50 to cut someones hair

I will look at the facts, I'm just suprised at what you are saying.

If you are right - it will perhaps make me look somewhere else to train for a career.

Its good to have others opinions, I just assumed they got £50 to cut someones hair

Go in to it because you would like to do it, not because you want to get rich because you will be very disappointed.

Hair dressers are rarely 'minted' and I have known several who have given it up because they couldn't earn enough from it. after tax, NI, rent, equipment, gas, electric, phone bill, business rates, buying products there wasn't much left for wages!

Tax at around 20% = £10

£40 left.

Once you bought your scissors etc...that £40 left must be your own

Depends on whether they own the salon as well. If not then that £40 is actually going to the salon owner, or they are self employed and pay a fee of some kind to the owner of the salon, which is probably at least another £10/customer.

I think you are naiive to think 10 x coustomers @£50 = £500 for the stylist.

In reality if a stylist rents a chair in a salon they pay the salon owner for that chair 50% of their takings. They then have tax to pay as a self employed person. Pay for any products they use ect. So charging £50 for just a cut and blow (which not many people would spend and you would have to be extremely good) would let you walk away with approx £15 per cut.

If you are employed by the salon, it doesnt matter how much people pay for their cut and blow because you are on a salery. Which usually isnt very good.

The salon owner has rent, rates, water, buiness tax, products, salon juniors, phones, receptionists, equiptment, refreshments ect. to provide, so unless you have an amazing name and people will pay a premium to have their hair cut by you, you are not going to be rich.

After reading this, the next time you visit your salon you might give a tip to your stylist, who gets paid much less than you think !

Archived