Just nearly been had by a scam ring!

Read this bit again, it says BT were illegally transferring calls to other companies

Their accounts had been illegally transferred from BT to other suppliers - the other suppliers are the ones acting illegally by using subversive techniques to get people's account details.

"we were inundated by customers who had been illegally transfered from BT to all kinds of other companies."

BT were illegally transferring calls to other companies

I think you've confused the calls and the transferring, if you read the original post again.

Customers were illegally transferred from BT, but not by BT (by the other companies). BT were then inundated by calls asking why they had been transferred, maybe assuming it was BT's fault, but it was in fact their own fault by disclosing account details which enabled said other companies to carry out the (illegal) transfer.

Yes, how many people when they receive a phone call coming from BT are happy to confirm their address and account number. How many would do that if I walked up to them in the street wearing a BT badge. Some people's level of trust is frightening, no offence!

I had similar calls from Capital one, the conversations went something like ……

Are you Mr Malky

Yes

Can you answer some security questions.

No I am not giving you any information.

To cut a long story short I ended up going on line and sending a email to enquire what was going on and they told me I had done right ……….. don’t give out any information, find the number of the claimed organisation and ring them back.

Which is why when working for BT, a fair while ago, we were ifrom[/color]BT to all kinds of other companies. To do that required the name of the account holder an address and an account number which people were happy to do. Better yet some of them even gave out bank account details, really frightening!

Read this bit again, it says BT were illegally transferring calls to other companies

no it doesn't. It says FROM not BY BT

Archived