Why is the population of Australia so low.

the population of Australia has increased massively in the past 25 years, by more than 60%, nearly all of it due to immigration as birth rates are low. The graph shows a huge upward trend. By contrast the UK looks almost like a straight line. This is a non-topic. Australia hasn't got a low population at all, considering nearly all of it is pretty much uninhabitable.

Have you thought about extending your logic to include the indigenous inhabitants of Britain?

I have, that's one of the reasons there are valid controls on immigration to the UK.

But I think you're missing my point, since Aborigines have lived in Australia for over 40,000 years and European settlers only 150 years, it seems a little disingenuous for others to be championing Australia's immigration policy and referring to 'their country', when it was formulated by relatively recent immigrants and their offspring and had little input from native Australians. My comments were in context to the post I was responding to.

the population of Australia has increased massively in the past 25 years, by more than 60%, nearly all of it due to immigration as birth rates are low. The graph shows a huge upward trend. By contrast the UK looks almost like a straight line. This is a non-topic. Australia hasn't got a low population at all, considering nearly all of it is pretty much uninhabitable.[/QUOTE]

The most densely populated part of Australia is the Eastern seaboard. The distance from Brisbane in the north down to Melbourne in the south, plus Tasmania (the part of Australia most like England) is roughly 1200 miles. The distance from the east coast to the Great Dividing Range is roughly 100 miles = an area of about 120,000 square miles. That part of Australia might support, at a guess, 20 million people. The UK is 93,600 square miles in area.

Archived