Why is the population of Australia so low.

No would you care to explain?:hihi::hihi: and also would you like to tell us the difference in meaning between moral and morale

OH!! the things going through my head at that request. :twisted:

Morale was high with the English soldiers in the 1770s and 1780s because, as they had no morals, they took joy in hunting aborigines like animals.

The population would probably be a lot higher, but a great number of natives were killed in the early years of settlement, so that takes that gene pool out. Also the fact that Aussies were gunned down in their thousands at Gallipoli and other locations in WW1. I know that a LOT of people were killed in the wars, but the guys who were killed or seriously maimed in the Gallipoli campaign equated to about 10% of the male population between 17 and 40. That made a HUGE dent in the population.

Then again, did the Aborigines elect a government that allowed it?

Dual standards, BF?

When people complain about immigration or immigrants in the UK, they are usually reminded (quite rightly, IMO) that there's nothing new about immigration and the British People are the people who live in the UK right now - Not those who lived there some hundreds of years ago.

Surely that applies equally in Australia?

The water used to feed Vegas has made many other parts uninhabitable and the Rive rColorado no longer reaches the pacific as it has dried up completely

There is estimated to be around 2.6 trillion gallons of water in underground aquifers in Nevada. That's the good news.

The bad news is that is all tainted because it's under the old H-bomb testing sites

Not at all Rupert, Id said earlier I wasnt debating the rights and wrongs of it.

But you went on to say:

...But I think you're missing my point, since Aborigines have lived in Australia for over 40,000 years and European settlers only 150 years, it seems a little disingenuous for others to be championing Australia's immigration policy and referring to 'their country', when it was formulated by relatively recent immigrants and their offspring and had little input from native Australians. .

Surely, Australians are Australians if they have Australian nationality - irrespective of how many generations of their forebears have lived in the country?

Should those British people whose families have lived in the country since William the Conqueror (or earlier) have a greater say in policy than those British people whose families immigrated more recently?

You appear to be suggesting that Aborigines are more Australian than those whose families arrived from Europe during the past 150 years or so.

Do you consider yourself to be less British than somebody whose ancestors have lived in the UK for 1000 years?

Archived