Good indian food

I visted the Saffron Club a few weeks back and the service was EXCELLENT!! the food was non greasy and very tasty! Pity it is on West St and not down a side street but regardless I was impressed.....the service did it for me, oh and the large Cobra special!!

Most of what we consider Indian restaurants are run by Bengalis. This is mostly a good thing, what you have to watch out for is the bland underspiced 'contemporary Indian cuisine' restaurants run by British Asians who have never set foot in the subcontinent.

What's the difference then? Are some dishes from India and some from Pakistan?

Hi,

The vast majority of so called "Indian" restaurants, are actually Bangladeshi restaurants that cook Halal meat. So you will only find Muslim customers at these places. Sikhs have to eat in non-Halal, Indian owned restaurants.

Hi,

The vast majority of so called "Indian" restaurants, are actually Bangladeshi restaurants that cook Halal meat. So you will only find Muslim customers at these places. Sikhs have to eat in non-Halal, Indian owned restaurants.

Do they cook halal meat? I was with a muslim colleague on a course in Aberdeen and he wanted to eat halal. We tried a couple of Indian restaurants (Bengali run), but when we asked we were told the meat wasn't halal.

Do they cook halal meat? I was with a muslim colleague on a course in Aberdeen and he wanted to eat halal. We tried a couple of Indian restaurants (Bengali run), but when we asked we were told the meat wasn't halal.

Hi,

I think its where you also come from. I do know that in Birmingham and Sheffield, the places will be Halal because of the large Muslim populations. But i am not too sure about Aberdeen.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of what we consider Indian restaurants are run by Bengalis. This is mostly a good thing, what you have to watch out for is the bland underspiced 'contemporary Indian cuisine' restaurants run by British Asians who have never set foot in the subcontinent.

A country as small as the UK has great differences in cuisine from county to county. Spanish food varies tremendously from region to region, it therefore shouldn't surprise us that food from the Indian sub continent is even more varied in it's choice and style.

Archived