June theme story

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly recognised the pub cellar bit, but I had to look up the train crash incident. You have a way of writing short, punchy sentences that is the sort of thing I'm trying to capture (in writing a novel). Your piece has the feel of belonging to something bigger, as though there's something you know that you've not told us, or perhaps that it's actually a chapter rather than a short story...?

On a purely technical note, there are a couple of instances of lists or two-part sentences joined with commas. I happen to like this as a stylistic decision, but it's the sort of thing that some grammar-pedants will object to. (Much like my terminal preposition in the previous sentence.) I think this gives a bouncy feel to sentences, but some people will complain that it can obscure your meaning. Anyway, that's of relative unimportance. I enjoyed it and would read more.

Thanks for your comments everyone - it was actually written as a short story, but I think I could take it further if I had the time. I have submitted it to a couple of short story competitions but I never get anywhere with those. Perhaps when I've finished the novel I've been working on for the past 2 or 3 years I could look at this next as a starting point.

I'm glad someone has read it and liked it!

The train crash was borrowed from an incident in Beighton in 1942 - it wasn't meant to be that actual crash (that train was northbound and had not been to Worksop) but I have been haunted by the idea of those poor soldiers and sailors who had survived who knows how many battles, only to be killed by a stray piece of metal hanging off a train.

Lady A

Archived