Veolia recycling -

• 3 weeks later...

We've had the same problem and today I caught the bin men and asked them. They too stated they can't take 'other' plastics although they have taken them before. So we are left with a bin full of recyclable waste that they have refused to take on two occasions. Today I took out the stuff they said they can't take and still they haven't taken it because there was a lid from an ice cream tub, same stuff that microwave trays are made of.

Last time, they wouldn't take two cardboard boxes (1 inside the other) "because it's not in the policy and would not fit in the lorry" They were 6 inch tall by about 1ft x 1.5ft. They've taken this stuff in the past, so what has changed?

I am infuriated by this because we already pay for this service yet it gets trimmed down time and time again. I called the council, but beware of the menu system, it will take you to Veolia who are just robots with no common sense and will simply say "it's the policy"

I take time to wash and separate all the things to recycle, time I can better use else where. Since I am not getting value for money, I think I will not recycle!

We are paying for a service that seems to constantly change in small but annoying ways. The service should change but for the benefit of us (the customer).

I will write to our MP and see what happens.

• 3 years later...

If anyone has an iPhone my friend has created this nice little app which highlights where different things can be recycled within Sheffield. Please have a look and maybe make suggestions for improvements if you see any. He is not a business, he's just honing his skills for fun. bit.ly/1BWMwGa

If anyone has an iPhone my friend has created this nice little app which highlights where different things can be recycled within Sheffield. Please have a look and maybe make suggestions for improvements if you see any. He is not a business, he's just honing his skills for fun. bit.ly/1BWMwGa

There are already a couple of UK data bases for this, not sure if there are iphone aps but you can access them for free on line.

I am puzzled by this thread. Our shared bins for a block of flats consist of 3 black bins, one blue bin labelled paper and cardboard, and a second blue bin labelled glass and tins.

That's all for the blue bins, everything else goes in the black bins.

Of course, some tenants don't seem to understand about the blue bins and fill them with any sort of rubbish. They don't get emptied, leaving rubbish piling up in the bins and then spilling out on the ground.