Should South Yorkshire be a drug friendly zone?

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should South Yorkshire be a drug friendly zone?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't know

Should we decriminalize drugs in South Yorkshire and regulate the industry.

We could reduce both harm and crime, whilst increasing tourism and create a new stream of taxation.

I'm not saying we should do it overnight, but we could get the ball rolling, pilot a few zones, iron out any problems, expand the zones and at least see if it is of benefit to our society.

I'm thinking cannabis style cafes, shooting rooms, opium and crack dens concentrated in an area that could be contained and designated both drug friendly and child free.

A lot of the misunderstanding about illegal drugs stems from the fact that they all get lumped together.

I don't think heroin or crack should ever be legally sold. I'd agree with free and legal heroin for proven addicts, to be administered in a strictly controlled manner.

And I would agree that other class A's and canabis should be legalised, because it would improve the quality and prevent dangerous additives (with obvious public health benefits) as well as cutting off a major source of revenue for the violent criminal gangs which have sprung up around the trade.

However, I don't believe the government should ever do anything to encourage drug use, such as setting up enclaves designed to attract drug users.

A more constructive approach would be to take some of the tax revenue which could be raised from legal drug sales, and use it for realistic education (as opposed to the counter productive and hysterical propaganda such as the 'ask Frank' adverts which they try and pass off as objective infoirmation).

This education should be aimed at informing the age groups most likely to start using drugs of the risks which are associated with various substances, and providing solid statistical information explaining at what doses and frequency of use do the various drugs become significantly more dangerous. Telling people not to take any drugs ever is not only a failed policy, but it has been a failed policy for decades now.

Revenue raised in drugs taxes could also be used for funding programmes aimed at helping 'problem' drug users, such as addicts and those who use substances at a rate that is likely to seriously impact on their physical and mental health.

Should we decriminalize drugs in South Yorkshire and regulate the industry.

Explain how we can. How could "South Yorkshire" legislate to decriminalize drugs? How long have local authorities been able to opt out of national legislation?

Explain how we can. How could "South Yorkshire" legislate to decriminalize drugs? How long have local authorities been able to opt out of national legislation?

Lets have a vote!

We need not bow down as slaves.

Why should South Yorkshire people not be allowed to govern themselves?

Archived