Should South Yorkshire be a drug friendly zone?

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should South Yorkshire be a drug friendly zone?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't know

- dismissing drug users as scumbags is daft and doesn't help my/our kids navigate their way through it safely - neither does a free for all I guess.

If the government were telling kids stuff about drugs that in any way related to the reality of what they were seeing with their own eyes, they might listen. Unfortunately, drug policy is based on pandering to black and white assumptions and hysteria.

If teenagers can see that what they are being told about ectasy is the wildly exagerated hyseria of blinkered people who don't know what they are talking about, what's to stop some of them thinking that the same isn't true of what they are told about heroin or crack? It's time there was an open and grown up debate about drugs, which involved people who actually have accurate information about them, including people who use them.

If the government were telling kids stuff about drugs that in any way related to the reality of what they were seeing with their own eyes, they might listen. Unfortunately, drug policy is based on pandering to black and white assumptions and hysteria.

If teenagers can see that what they are being told about ectasy is the wildly exagerated hyseria of blinkered people who don't know what they are talking about, what's to stop some of them thinking that the same isn't true of what they are told about heroin or crack? It's time there was an open and grown up debate about drugs, which involved people who actually have accurate information about them, including people who use them.

exactly -well put donkey (that sounds like a line from shrek!).

it's bloody hard in real life with a real kid though, anyone who's interested knows that E's are pretty safe, but who's going to tell their kids that - the real problems are cocaine,including crack and heroin, but how do you differentiate without seeming to condone the use of 'soft' drugs, especially if, like me, you took them yourself and are clearly not badly affected by them.

I can't imagine myself saying that me and your mum used to get E'd up, dance in a state of grace and then make superb love when we got home, but you mustn't. It's really difficult.

Should we decriminalize drugs in South Yorkshire and regulate the industry.

We could reduce both harm and crime, whilst increasing tourism and create a new stream of taxation.

I'm not saying we should do it overnight, but we could get the ball rolling, pilot a few zones, iron out any problems, expand the zones and at least see if it is of benefit to our society.

I'm thinking cannabis style cafes, shooting rooms, opium and crack dens concentrated in an area that could be contained and designated both drug friendly and child free.

I voted no in error!!

I do think South Yorkshire should be a drug friendly zone, I think the whole of the UK should be!

The drugs laws don't work - end of story!!

exactly -well put donkey (that sounds like a line from shrek!).

it's bloody hard in real life with a real kid though, anyone who's interested knows that E's are pretty safe, but who's going to tell their kids that - the real problems are cocaine,including crack and heroin, but how do you differentiate without seeming to condone the use of 'soft' drugs, especially if, like me, you took them yourself and are clearly not badly affected by them.

I can't imagine myself saying that me and your mum used to get E'd up, dance in a state of grace and then make superb love when we got home, but you mustn't. It's really difficult.

What must you do then? Lecture them over your can of lager how terrible it all is? There is middle ground.

We could reduce both harm and crime, whilst increasing tourism and create a new stream of taxation.

I'm not saying we should do it overnight, but we could get the ball rolling, pilot a few zones, iron out any problems, expand the zones and at least see if it is of benefit to our society.

I'm thinking cannabis style cafes, shooting rooms, opium and crack dens concentrated in an area that could be contained and designated both drug friendly and child free.

:loopy: :loopy: and did I mention, :loopy: ?!

Won't happen, ever.. Cannabis is, and always will be, illegal.

i think page hall has already taken up the challenge! ;-)

Every area in sheffield has people that use illegal drugs, Page hall is not a drugs haven as you make out.

How do we get legislation to enable a local referendum?

It already exists -

Not many people know that the following extraordinarily democratic provision exists in England and Wales. It can be usefully exploited by activists on any number of issues. We need more of this kind of direct democracy.

Under the 1972 Local Government Act, civic Parish Councils in England (Community Councils in Wales) can vote to request their local District Council to hold a referendum on any issue of concern to the local parish.

Once the Parish Council has voted in favour, the District Council has to carry out the referendum.

1 - Choose the issue.

2 - Decide the wording of the question.

3 - With at least five other local parish residents, approach the Parish Council and request a Parish Council meeting.

4 - Advertise the meeting.

5 - At least 10 people must be present at the meeting, where a formal motion must be put forward to support a referendum (the wording of the referendum must be part of the resolution) and a vote taken.

6 - The motion can only be carried if a third of those present, or at least 10 (whichever is the least) vote in favour.

7 - Take the resolution to the District Council and submit a request for a referendum, invoking your right under Schedule 12, Part III, para.18(4) and (5) at page 2275 of the Local Government Act (1972). In Wales it is Schedule 12, Part V, para.34(4) and (5) at page 2279. The District Council must respond within a week and the referendum has to be held within 14-25 days of the request being submitted.

8 - Publicise the referendum and campaign for your cause.

Note, all those entitled to vote at local elections, including the parish councillors, are entitled to vote when the motion is tabled, with the person presiding having a casting vote, as per para18(1) and (3). Para 18(1) states that, "each local government elector may, at a parish meeting or at a poll consequent thereon, give one vote and no more on any question."

Getting the Council to do anything about the issue is, of course, the next step after winning the referendum, but your case will be strengthened with a democratic mandate.

You my friend are LOSING IT !! Go live in Amsterdam or one of the new tourist destinations in Eastern Europe. :loopy:

Archived