Should my 15 yr old son be earning his money?

You're brave!! Considering he'll be choosing your nursing home one day:hihi:

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: If he doesn't do as he's told, he might come home from school one day, as I did, and find his parents have moved so that won't come into the equation:help: I'm an orphan - would anybody of substance like to adopt me?

I know it sounds a bit mean but there's been plenty of opportunities for him to earn a little extra cash by doing little jobs like tidying the garden or washing my car and work van every other weekend but he's never interested. It seems he simply expects us to give him the money, which I must admit is beginning to annoy me a little.

What do you think? Am I being mean?, or am I being reasonable when I ask him to roll his sleeves up and earn some of his cash?

You are not being mean, let's get that straight from the off set. I make my Son and daughters work as I had to do when I was a youth, it is a valuable life lesson. I remember having to travel the world on a shoe string before I was old enough to claim my inheritance.

I know it sounds a bit mean but there's been plenty of opportunities for him to earn a little extra cash by doing little jobs like tidying the garden or washing my car and work van every other weekend but he's never interested. It seems he simply expects us to give him the money, which I must admit is beginning to annoy me a little.

What do you think? Am I being mean?, or am I being reasonable when I ask him to roll his sleeves up and earn some of his cash?

No you're not being mean at all. I was very lazy at his age and would rarely lift a finger to help.

Just tell him that most other kids have to earn their pocket money, why should he be any different

My son was very much like that at 15. I never gave him pocket money as such, but I did pay for his treats etc.. I was just of the opinion that while-ever he was in education that I would financially support him.

Even after he finished his A Levels he was still very unmotivated as far as work was concerned and it did cause a few rows for a month or two.

It was only when my income took a massive hit last year that I put my foot down - he's now 19, got a great little job working nights, he works hard and he takes great pride in earning his own money and buying his own things.

I was washing dishes in a busy resturant at 14/15 which opened doors at the time.

Archived