Should my 15 yr old son be earning his money?

The responses on this have really surprised me. I actually thought I was being to hard on him, but I obviously wasn't. Time to put my foot down a little harder me thinks.

Good for you - and your kid! How much do you currently give him?

Good for you - and your kid! How much do you currently give him?
It depends on what he's wanting to do. He doesn't have a fixed amount every week, it's little bits here and there that mount up.

You should definitely do it!

When I was living with my parents I still had to do my general chores (ie. clean the bathroom, tidy my bedroom, hoovering etc) but there also was a list of other jobs I could do for a bit of pocket money...like washing the cars, mowing the lawn etc. It helped me loads to understand the value of money and when I have children, I'll be doing the same thing! :-)

So good on you! :-)

My daughter is 15 and I don't give her any spending money,but she is still expected to help out around the house, which she does reasonably well, only occasionally needing reminding. I do put her some money into a saving account each week, her university fund, and she does get spending money from other relatives without strings.

My son didn't get any money from us from 16 onwards, he worked by giving guitar lessons and as a ju- jitsu instructor to pay for the things he needed whilst at college, although we did feed him and kept a roof over his head. He supported himself through university and his phd and only has a relatively low student loan to pay back because he worked and didn't need to borrow so much.

I don't think it is mean at all, it helps give them an idea of what money is worth.

I never had "pocket money" given, in fact I have never had owt given, had to work for every penny I have. So in answer to your question, yes he should be earning it. It will give him a good life work ethic.

Regards

Angel.

My daughter is 15 and I don't give her any spending money,but she is still expected to help out around the house, which she does reasonably well, only occasionally needing reminding. I do put her some money into a saving account each week, her university fund, and she does get spending money from other relatives without strings.

My son didn't get any money from us from 16 onwards, he worked by giving guitar lessons and as a ju- jitsu instructor to pay for the things he needed whilst at college, although we did feed him and kept a roof over his head. He supported himself through university and his phd and only has a relatively low student loan to pay back because he worked and didn't need to borrow so much.

I don't think it is mean at all, it helps give them an idea of what money is worth.

Very sensible advice here.:)

my boy is 15. we don't give him 'pocket money' as such. he does do jobs around the house but we explain to him and his younger brother that this is just part of living in a household. he does go out and earn a bit of money, delivering papers and he labours for a mechanic. i have told him that we will always buy his food and basic clothing whilst he doesn't earn a bona fide wage but anything extra he wants he has to pay for himself, things like new phones and ipods etc. i have said to him any money that you earn at the moment is yours to do with as you please whilst you are at school but when you leave school you have to be self sufficient and if you can afford it give your mother some board. as a result of this i like to think that i have taught him the value of money and the difficulty of earning it because he is very particular on what he buys, he is by no means frivellous and he has built up some savings!

It is crucial that young people know the value of money and that if they want something they have to earn it.

There are loads of jobs that need to be done on a daily basis.

Its a case of if you want me to help and support you then you have to do something in return.

I have 2 labradors who need to be walked 3 times a day so that is one job that can be done easily by my 15 year old daughter.

Keeping the house clean and tidy and keeping the garden tidy is another task.

Emptying bins, putting out the bins each week, getting in the shopping.

Makes me wonder how we actually get through it all!

Is this a record, a thread where everybody agrees!

PS - I had to help around the house for pocket money, but for a couple of years also delivered Betterware (kinda like Avon but mostly kitchen gadgets) for extra money. Made me about £20/week, which as a teenager a couple of decades ago was pretty good money :-)

Archived